• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Could some mental health workers be spying for the government?

F

firemonkee57

Some seem to be more keen on pushing ' back to work' courses than caring about their clients mental health problems.

F

firemonkee57

I think there is nothing wrong with benignly helping people back to work as an optimal goal of recovery but the cynical governmental attitude of patching people up just enough to claim they are fit for work is a whole different and much nastier and unsavoury kettle of fish. Especially when draconian sanctions are involved even if people are genuinely unable to cope with the whole process.

What upsets and disturbs me is that for years it was standard practice to tell people like me, who had become ill at a young age, that work was not a viable option. Just take the pills,have the injections etc,see a psychiatrist from time to time, maybe attend a day centre, but don't expect any help for the issues/problems that made being able to get and cope with work,problematic.
Last time i had anyone suggest anything on the work related front was back in 1978 when i was 21(before many posters here were born). That was when there was talk of me going to a rehabilitation centre to assess what i was capable/suitable of
doing.
That was gunned down by then psychiatrist(i had just come out of hospital after a 9 month stay) and never proposed again.
Now all of a sudden the attitude is work is good for you and as much as possible play down and trivialise the health issues in order to get people back into work.
I can see people's point that being in work allows for a sense of purpose and can boost self esteem and that not being in work can result in the opposite.
I know that all too well. Basically all my adult life i have felt this undercurrent of guilt and worthlessness for not working and therefore being a lesser person/member of society .

I often read about people who are working and think what a useless no good person i am( not because anyone here has actively done anything to make me feel that way i hasten to add) .

The nearest i have come to being in any way useful is when i had to look after my wife when she had dementia, and even then my mental health problems meant i was not always as good at it as i should have been, or in the occasional minute and ultimately trivial ways i have been able to help and inform people on mh forums over the last dozen or so years.

Now in my mid 50s with a non existent CV i wonder who will realistically want to employ someone like me( i could not blame them) even if, and it's a big if, i could get over the problems that make getting and coping with work an issue.
The stark reality being faced by people like me is being shoved in the work group with reduced money to live on with no realistic chance of employment. Or even if i am able to get work seeing the pressures of employment caused by the failure to tackle various problems affecting my mental health in an adverse way and making me worse.

Basically, if truth be told, i reached, what was for me, a peak at 16 and then bottomed out for years before making a slight rise up the chart. A rise that even so was better than once expected.
However,irrespective of that rise, i have basically been a societal failure and it would not have been a great lose if i had succeeded with my first and worst attempt at suicide.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Rumerra Personality Disorders Forum 3