• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Could it be schizophrenia

S

Silverl

Hi, I've been wondering for some time whether paranoia alone could be schizophrenia? I don't hear voices or see things which seem to be part of the criteria as well. I do sometimes smell something that is not there but it's not all the time, it tends to last a few months at a time. I also have a lack of motivation a lot of the time for the past couple of years but there are periods when I'm a bit more alert. I have a lot of anxiety most of my life and it's obviously not nice to feel like I'm being watched. I feel like I don't fit into any usual categories of mental disorders so I don't know how to view it. I don't really want to tell a mental health professional in case I'm officially labelled as paranoid and then never believed. I don't feel I'm interesting or anything and I don't have anything to hide so I don't know why I get this. Sometimes I've literally taped over the camera on my phone and drawn the curtains when I once thought someone from an organisation was checking up on me. It tends to wax and wane in severity. Thanks for reading.

H

haystack

sounds just like normal paranoid thoughts...my fiancee' tapes over all computer cameras...real deal people can watch you through them but it's very rare that that happens...just being safe...you sound coherent and not delusional but you if you really want to know make an appt. with a psychiatrist or mental health professional and see what they think...I don't think you have anything to worry about in my opinion but I am not the one that matters to say...

Passionflower

Passionflower

Maybe it's severe anxiety rather than paranoia in it's truest sense?. I don't think paranoia on it's own would get you the diagnosis of schizophrenia. I had to have voices and delusions to get the diagnosis myself.

S

Silverl

Hey, thanks for the replies.

Haystack, yes I was wondering how many people may actually experience this within the range of normal thoughts. It's not surprising really when you think of the technology we live with and all the cameras (phone, laptop, CCTV etc).

Passionflower, the anxiety does get severe. I've also become very withdrawn from social situations and when I go out shopping I wish I had an invisibility cloak on. Rewind back a few years and I was the first to arrive at a party (but always with some general anxiety).

3xy

Im not a professional, but wondering if you have you looked at the diagnostic criteria for GAD?

S

Silverl

Thanks for the reply, 3xy. I've heard of GAD but not actually looked into it. I just Googled it and a questionnaire came up in the search. I scored "severe" so maybe I should look into what treatments might be available for that.

3xy

Perhaps present the symptoms to your Dr and see what they suggest. I hope you get some relief from your symptoms, they sound distressing. All the best.

L

llittlelostlady

I get voices but no paranoiia or delusions

S

Silverl

Thank you 3xy 🙏

llittlelostlady, I do get the impression that the voice hearing is much more central to the diagnosis. I only have the strange occurrence where I smell odour that others can't detect, but no altered perceptions with hearing except common tinnitus.

L

llittlelostlady

Have you considered epilepsy?

Ie temperal lobe?

Passionflower

Passionflower

Before I was diagnosed with schiz they sent me for a test for epilepsy as I was smelling onions wherever I went. Phantom smells can sometimes be due to epilepsy as littlelostlady has implied.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Admin
Hi,
I only had paranoia and delusions and was diagnosed with schizophenia.
Please see your dr if your worried.
I don't hear voices or have hallucinations.
Each case is different.

K

karl7

Hi, I've been wondering for some time whether paranoia alone could be schizophrenia? I don't hear voices or see things which seem to be part of the criteria as well. I do sometimes smell something that is not there but it's not all the time, it tends to last a few months at a time. I also have a lack of motivation a lot of the time for the past couple of years but there are periods when I'm a bit more alert. I have a lot of anxiety most of my life and it's obviously not nice to feel like I'm being watched. I feel like I don't fit into any usual categories of mental disorders so I don't know how to view it. I don't really want to tell a mental health professional in case I'm officially labelled as paranoid and then never believed. I don't feel I'm interesting or anything and I don't have anything to hide so I don't know why I get this. Sometimes I've literally taped over the camera on my phone and drawn the curtains when I once thought someone from an organisation was checking up on me. It tends to wax and wane in severity. Thanks for reading.
It doesnt sound like sz to me but rather psychosi

S

Silverl

llittlelostlady & passionflower, wow I didn't know that the smell could be a symptom of epilepsy. If I do end up going to a doctor I will try to tell them everything to make sure the right conclusion is reached!

Mayflower7, your diagnosis is basically what I was wondering about. The difference for me is many of the times I've been able to think it through and consider the possibility that my thoughts may be irrational. There have been a few times that I was convinced for a while and it was only looking back that I could see I was being irrational. I'm feeling rational now but there is a sense of uneasiness about it beginning again and it's what prompted me to post now.

Karl7, whatever it is it does fluctuate so maybe psychosis does fit the symptoms better.

Thanks again everyone for the replies, you've been very helpful.