• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Could I lose my job?

R

redbull

As in other posts I'm having trouble with my mental health.... Im currently on the sick for it by my GP and have been for almost 2 months, I'm just wondering can I/will I lose my job If I need more time off till I'm fit to go back ?

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Depends on the company, depends how long you have worked there and so on. You are in the best position to judge.

Kerome

Kerome

When I had my psychotic episode I'd been off with a physical ailment for three months, and they made me redundant after seven months or so.

C

comfortably numb

Hi,
I'm having the same problem. I did not take a sick note off the doctor but took 2 prescriptions. I have since took myself off the tablets and did not return to the doctors. I am not myself, I know that much. I don't know what is wrong with me but do no that my work brings me routine and I am petrified if I lose it all my days will be tv and not much else. Sorry I'm rambling. But I sort of no what you mean.

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Depends on the company, depends how long you have worked there and so on. You are in the best position to judge.
The words I was going to use.

I was off sick for five months over seven months, one two month period and then a three month period and my employers were supportive. Last time they didn't even bother me.

G

glimmerofhope

No, legally they absolutely cannot fire you for this reason. They might however not make it easy for you or cut back your hours and claim that they just don't have enough work. They might also search for other reasons to fire you if they do actually want to get rid of you but you could fight it in court. Where I live, you could easily take your case to the labour board and they could not fire you at all.

L

Ladylala

They can't fire you but they may ask you to resign if you are too ill to work, that's what I had to do!