• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Could I have pure O OCD?

O

ohjulian

Hi, I'm a 21 year old college student, and for the past year I've been struggling with depression and anxiety. I have been talking with my therapist about what technical diagnosis I would say that I have, and we decided on depression and generalized anxiety disorder. However, now I am wondering if it would be better classified as pure O OCD. I know that the technical diagnosis probably isn't that important. It doesn't really change that much, since I'd still be taking the same medication I already am, but it would give me some peace, and perhaps it would help with therapeutic treatment to know exactly what it is. This is a question to anyone who has been diagnosed with pure O OCD. Does this sound similar to your experience? Here are my symptoms.

-Obsessive thoughts about my relationship with my boyfriend. I worry that I don't really love him, that he doesn't really love me, that I made a mistake in dating him for so long. Also, this one I feel horrible for, but I have fears that he is autistic. I know that he isn't, and even if he was it shouldn't change anything, but sometimes I can't stop the thoughts.

-Obsessive thoughts about going to hell and becoming demon possessed. Just recently I watched a short documentary about demon possession, and it really freaked me out. I had a period where I felt depersonalization and I had intrusive thoughts like scary laughter and I was so worried it was demons. But then it went away after I took klonopin. Because of the fear of going to hell, it's very difficult for me to read my Bible, even though I am a Christian and I used to enjoy reading it. It gives me too much anxiety now

-Obsessive thoughts about being contaminated. I work in a chemistry lab, and while I am very very careful, I worry about somehow getting chemicals on me. Even if all I used that day was water. It is completely irrational, but it drives me to panic attacks.

-Obsessive thoughts about having an STD or some horrible chronic illness. I also have obsessive thoughts about being pregnant, even though I've never had vaginal sex. I've even gotten pregnancy tests several times because I was so scared. They were always negative, obviously.

-Obsessive thoughts about being gay. These are less common than the others, but
still happen occasionally. I identify as straight and I am in a happy relationship with a man, but I worry that I am gay but I just don't realize. I check myself all the time. The fact that my family would disown me if I was gay only adds to the anxiety.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Admin
Hi,
I just wanted to say I'm sorry you're going through this and good luck with finding a diagnosis.
Take care

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
R Horror ocd pure Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
K Beating OCD, Intrusive Thoughts, PURE-O and everything in between Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
J Worsening of ocd 'pure o' Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 12
D Pure ocd - in need of some support/guidance… Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 31
B Brutal self talk with pure O OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 9
B Girlfriend with Pure OCD - Please help!!! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
L Pure OCD and problems with guilt. Sexuality problem Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
N My Pure O and sensorimotor OCD experience Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
B Pure ocd ruining my life Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
L No more pure ocd Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
O Pure ocd is crippling me... Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
J Could I Have Pure O OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
P My Tips on Overcoming Pure-OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
W Pure 'O' OCD - a problem with moving on with a life of sorts Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
D Need some answers on combating OCD/Pure O Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
K Religious Pure OCD, tips? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
N How i OVERCAME pure OCD , Success Story. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
O My SUCCESSFUL story of how i overcame PURE OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
B Pure o ocd and medication Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
M Pure-O OCD... Harm Obsession / Bad Intrusive Thoughts Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 13
R Pure-o OCD or Bi-polar disorder? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
M Pure O OCD help Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 10
A Help me in serious pain!suffering from pure o ocd !! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
D Acceptance of OCD/pure O thoughts? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 8
L Curious about Pure-O OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
L Pure OCD - Terrible Spike? Please help! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
M Pure O OCD? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
F Pure OCD: a rude awakening Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
B Help, I don't think this is normal for pure o ocd Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 10
J Is this pure-o,ocd,or something else please read Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
J My Pure O story and am I the only one? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
J Intrusive Pure O Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
J Pure o fearful thoughts Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 7
L New to Forum and looking for help with Pure O Contamination....life is tough Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
L Really struggling pure O getting worse Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 18
J Fluoxetine and Pure O Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 6
OddballOut Pure-O Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 5
B Pure O and recovery. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
B Double isolation with pure O and corona. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 5
T When will this stop? Pure O Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
D What are you supposed to do after facing Pure O fears? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
A Pure O or am I crazy? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
J Pure-O about 'showing off' Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
P pure o Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
B pure o Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
P I have pure O and I have a question Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
C Pure O help needed! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
R Pure O and emptiness Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
D Which of the following books are best for overcoming pure O? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
A How I overcame my anxiety/ Pure O Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2