• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Could Auditory Hallucinations (hearing voices) be Caused by My Diet?

T

tormentedinnocence

I am a 31 year old male. I have been suffering from auditory hallucinations (hearing voices) for about a year and a half and it has been awful. I have sought help in support groups, therapy, and with a psychiatrist. My psychiatrist diagnosed me as having psychosis and what is referred to as paranoid schizophrenia possibly brought on by three years of prescription Adderall use and abuse, alcohol abuse, and some other drug abuse during college (cocaine experimentation on weekends for about two months, and MDMA twice).

I have been sober for several years, and am well aware of how bad my drug use was, but do not think it is the cause of hearing voices, because I never had any sort of symptoms for years. I refuse to go on psychiatric medication because I refuse to self identify as a paranoid schizophrenic. To me my voices that I hear several times daily just seems to be about hate, over-competitiveness, greed, from very difficult people from my past, who are somehow able to exert their power over me. It is very unpleasant and I have had to just boil it down to my voices as inner demons, evil spirits, some sort of wicked trick, or psychology I do not understand. I have done some online reading recently that I haven't considered as a possible cause to having to hear voices and I started putting two and two together after reading that it may be because of my diet and nutrient deficiency.

I switched to a vegan and vegetarian diet about two years before I began to hear voices. I have been a vegetarian for about five years now and just now read about all of the vitamin deficiencies I may have been exposing my brain to. I picked up a multivitamin today and I am praying it will help to alleviate the symptoms with some time. Does anyone have experience on this or has anyone heard of something like this before? Does it sound like nutrient deficiency could cause my to hear voices? It is something I hadn't thought of until now, but after reading about it it seems like it could be a legitimate reason to cause me to hear voices.

K

karl7

im a vegan 3 yrs+, and also a vegetarian for 7 yrs.....but i would not at all link this to my experoence of hearing voices and being a paranoid schziophrenic.....personally i think its genetic

JessisMe

JessisMe

I had two friends who started to hear voices after smoking marijuana and doing LSD. Apparently there is a pretty strong link between recreational drug use and schizophrenia so I’m not surprised your psychiatrist went there. If your voices don’t bother you then I wouldn’t worry too much about treatment. Some people are fine as they are. While you can experiment with diet schizophrenia is most likely a genetic and/or chemical thing. It is treated successfully in many cases with use of meds like the ones your psychiatrist has prescribed. If you would like relief from these voices I would strongly encourage you to at least try the prescribed medication and see how it works for you. If, after several months, the voices are still there you might try a different medication or something else.

L

Lab rat

I think you’re clutching at straws. If a tap is dripping, you don’t think about how it’s been treated or what it’s filled in it’s lifetime... you fix the leak. Try the meds, try to mentally separate the real from the not so real, and pay attention to the true.

For what it’s worth, the flake and the e wouldn’t have caused it, but may have triggered it. You see, the illness would need to have been there to have been triggered. Who knows, if you hadn’t done it, it may have not triggered in your lifetime. But that’s like saying if you hadn’t drunk coffee on the 3rd of may 2008, you never would’ve developed schizophrenia. What’s done is done and it’s what you do now that matters.

Give the meds a try, it may be all you need. It is for a lot of people.