• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Cornwall

R

RayJ

Well... welcome to all the new members... It's been a year ago since I last posted. Been really busy with Service User Network Cornwall & Plymouth. I don't know if I posted before about setting up a shop and Peer 2 Peer support in Portreath. That was on Mental Health Day 10th October 2017. We stayed there for a year, we have moved to Camborne and expanded. Not only do we have the shop selling self help books and adult activities, but now we have a meeting room adjoining. This is used for Arts & Crafts drop in, plus anyone want to set up support groups can ask to use the space.

I guess most of you heard they were closing Oakleigh House on 31st March.... Well SunCornwall wasn't having that and started a campaign along with Radio Cornwall's Laurence Reed, Sun member Paul Symons, Cornwall Councillors Jacquie Gammon, Colin Martin, Bert Biscoe, Loveday Jenkin, Pat Rogerson from The House of Lords Baroness Judith Jolly, the Liberal Democrats Health Spokesperson. I attended the Council meeting along with three other service users. The Kernow Clinical Commissioning Group (KCCG), who said this would happened, retracted right away, when they realised the fallout of their actions. The put the closure on hold for three months, whilst proper consultations could take place. This wasn't acceptable to Cornwall Councillors and a proposition was put forward, that the KCCG would return in three weeks with proper proposals along with a timeframe. This meeting did take place and the outcome was for funding to be put in place for a further three years. In the meantime, they would look at the evidence base of Oakleigh of the good it does for service users. The KCCG will report back in two years of their findings and say if they will continue funding after the three years are up.

Once again, it shows the need for service users to get involved, we also collected over 8,000 signatures in a matter of 3 to 4 weeks. Just about everyone who came in to Sun Cornwall store signed our petition. All of you who either signed or rang Radio Cornwall THANK YOU.... Well Done

Anyone who can get to Camborne and would like to volunteer in the shop or with arts & crafts, please make contact via the website www.suncornwall.com ... Well I will try to keep posting here on a more regular basis... but as you get older, you just get more and more busy.... I think it is you just try to cram everything in.... I passed my 70th birthday last August. I do want to keep the pressure up on services, until I'm at least 75.... but I could do with help along the way. We must get Emotional & Mental Health on par with physical health.

Oh! and by the way one of the clinical commissioning groups reason for trying to close Oakleigh, was because you have to have it in your care plan and to have a care plan you need a CPN. So if Oakleigh was out of the picture, then they could discharge more people. It does muck up their stats. and in the league tables CPN's aren't discharging enough people. Please us all informed of changes in your treatment and those who cannot get support let us know. I think it's time to collect a few stats of our own. Please also inform others you may know who needs support to join us either here or on suncornwall.com . We need to be ready if they start cutting the services even more.

Hope you are all enjoying the sun-shine. Take care xx

BillySmith

BillySmith

Hello Everyone:welcome: It's about time Cornwall had it's own area. There are a lot of changes taking place. We have some professionals who are stopping Service Users from becoming enabled. Not sure if the are a little fearful for their jobs.

Of course that not the reason why service users and carers need a better voice. We are often the experts of our own issues, but sometimes need others to help us through the crisis.

Have lots of ideas to share and how to move the who Emotional/Mental Health thing forward.

Well first post so better not bore you all to much.

(((((Huggie 4 all)))))):clap: