D

diddypinks

ACCOUNT CLOSED
what do you like best about cornwall???????????????/

me its the beaches and pasties diddy

M

maudikie

Maudikie

You have a message about an onld lady in Cornwall. Refer her to the Dornwall group of Mental Health Forum please. I am now unfamiliar with what services there are in Cornwall or in which part of the County she lives.. I believe there are groups in Truro and Camborne, but unsure of the rest. Try www.schizophreniawatch or davidwatch for info.

R

RayJ

Self Help Groups in Cornwall

Hi sorry for the long time away... just struggling through one of those down periods.

There has been a lot of requests regarding Self help groups in Cornwall. I have copied this from the Cornwall Rural Community Council website. It's fairly up to date.

Mental Health Self Help Groups
Some of these clubs are run by mental health service users.

REDRUTH FRIENDSHIP CLUB (Social Club) (Managed by myself and I shall be there for the full three hours on 28th July if you want to drop in and have a cuppa :tea: and say hello.

Wednesdays, 12.00 – 3.00 pm, YMCA, Station Road, Redruth. (entrance is via the back door in the rear car park, the room is the first one on the right as you go into the building). You will all be made most welcome.

MIND FRIDAY CLUB

Fridays, 6.30 – 9.00 pm, Truro Baptist Church, Truro.

Run by Carrick Mind – details from Ruth Morris 01872 222469

PINK UMBRELLA LGB GROUP

Every 3rd Friday of the month, 1 – 3 pm. Gay, Lesbian, Bi-sexual and Transexual mental health support group, 2 Princes St, Truro.

CAMEL CLUB (social support group)

Tuesdays & Fridays, 10.00 – 1.30 pm, Delabole Church, Delabole

ST AGNES SELF HELP GROUP (social support group)

Mondays, 10.30 – 1.00 pm, St Agnes Methodist Church, Coffee Lounge, British Road, St Agnes.

BREAKAWAY

Provides support for people who want to reduce or come off Benzodiazepines. Thursdays, twice a month, 2 – 4 pm, 2 Princes St, Truro.

CORNWALL SURVIVORS GROUP

Mutual support for male survivors of rape or sexual abuse. Tuesdays, 7.00 pm, St Austell.

TIME OUT (social support group)

Liskerret Community Centre, Varley Lane, Liskeard, Thursdays 4 – 6 pm

HEARING VOICES NETWORK

West Cornwall

The Healing Star, 35 Causeway Head, Penzance. Every Tuesday 1.30 – 3.30 pm

Mid Cornwall

Newquay Mind, 40C East Street, Newquay, Every Thursday, 4.00 – 5.00 pm

East & North Cornwall

Group meets in Bodmin. Please phone for details: 01566 80293 or 07807813996 Wednesdays 2.00 - 3.30 pm

MANIC DEPRESSION FELLOWSHIP

Mid Cornwall

The Newquay Centre, St. Michael’s Rd, Newquay, Meetings held on 2nd Monday of each month 4pm – 6pm, Tel: 07792193010

East Cornwall

Liskerret Community Centre, Varley Lane, Liskeard, every 4th Tuesday of the month, 10 – 12 pm

West Cornwall

The Healing Star, 35 Causeway Head, Penzance. Every 3rd Wednesday of the month, 2 – 4 pm

PERRANPORTH COFFEE CORNER

Meets every Wednesday from 10.30-1.00 upstairs in the Conservative Club, St Piran’s Road, Perranporth. For more info call Brenda on 01872 572453 or Betty on 01872 572546

ASPERGERS SELF HELP GROUP - meeting

Please call Jane Morgan at Cornwall Mental Health Project (01872 243532) for more information on when and where this group meets.

Freedom OCD Group

Every last Thursday of the month, 10.30am to 12.30pm, Truro. Please phone Nicki for details 01872 243542

If you know of any other Self Help groups, please add them to the list.

R

RayJ

Hi Ray, thank you very much for your message and the information. I will definitely try to come to Sancreed House next Weds, and to the group in Penzance on Tuesday as well.
I don't have much faith in the mental health services in general from the contact I've had with them, so it's really good to know there's other things/support and people out there as well.
If I can help/get involved in any way I'd really like to. (I've signed up to the suncornwall website too).
It sounds like you're doing amazing things and thank you again for your message.
Best wishes, Lou
Hi Lou,

Did you make Sancreed, I haven't been there for sometime. I am hoping to have a week in September.

Hope you are keeping well.

Regards

Ray

R

RayJ

Hello babyc.
Please could you tell me about the service user/management forum.I have a son who is Autistic and unable to get a service.
There is a face book page called cornwall carers please would someone come on and say hello before the council take it over. .My name is liz also Olwen on the pages its all down to the group founder and a social worker or careworker who is having an lively debate with me.
i need to make contact with carers /service users anyone who is having problems.I do not want this group turned into an apprieciation society for the council.
Help
thank you:clap:
Hi Liz,

I shall try to find the Facebook group and add a few comments to support you. Sorry for the long time to answer you post... things are a little tough, I am going to Oakleigh for a week next week, but i do feel I'm loosing control. Just been away for a week, but I do not seem able to get my momentum back.

love

Ray

R

RayJ

CBT

hi raj i went to the sun cornwall website as i am looking for a self help group in falmouth where i live or in camborne where i go sometimes i would like to become involved in anything that provides better care for people with mental health problems in cornwall having been given 12 sessions of cbt told i have schizophrenia and i see my cpn about once every 4 months i was told by my cpn that they dont have a SINGLE psychiatrist for the whole of cornwall but there are people on a waiting list i wonder if they even no there is zero help accept one for eating disorders.
Hi Diddy,

Hope you are managing well. How did the cure everything in 12 sessions of CBT go? Did you find that it helped you?

You been told there isn't a single psychiatrist for the whole of Cornwall, well there are psychiatrists, I know quite a few, but it is hard to have the support of one unless you are a danger to others.

I advocated for a lady from Falmouth a few weeks ago, she suffers from regressive BPD and OCD and paranoia. But was told there is no care co-ordinators in the old Carrick area. She was told there is no help for her in the County, but they could see if they could get her to a place out of County. It is a disgrace the way we are being treated.

One of the big problems is still the lack of a working User Lead Involvement Group. I was a little optimistic about six months ago, I believed things were being sorted out with the Service User Forums. But that has all evaporated.

Sixteen years ago the Forums started in Cornwall and services did improve, Service users were heard and acted upon. We were involved in most developments and changes. We had enough funding (well nearly enough) to carry out our duties and to hold the Cornwall Partnership and County Council to account.

There were six Forums in Cornwall each had a budget of £2000 a year, now this might not seem a lot of money even for that time, but it was managable. On top of that money there was extra to put out quarterly newsletters and extra to attend central meetings anlong with consultation meetings. We use to be involved with staff inductions.

Now-a-days the budget for ALL Service User involvement is just £7,500. It shows what contempt the services have for us. It might change with the getting rid of the Primary Care Trust, but I do not think so. I believe we could see even more of a deteriation of service and many more people suffering through lack of care and support.

It would be nice to see all the people who would like to become involved in a carer and user involvement support network.

So if anyone who would be interested, it doesn't mean that you want to be involved, but showing an interest. If you could just put down the following........ Town / Carer or User / age / sex So I would put Redruth / User / 61 / M

We need action and support NOW. :scared:

S

starfish

hello Rayj just saying hello, i am living in north cornwall area. CPT has recently become a foundation trust. from what i can gather this means only one thing. cuts. i would love to go to a support group but because of my agoraphobia find it very diffficult. thanks for posting.

R

RayJ

Cornwall Mental Health Service or not

hello Rayj just saying hello, i am living in north cornwall area. CPT has recently become a foundation trust. from what i can gather this means only one thing. cuts. i would love to go to a support group but because of my agoraphobia find it very diffficult. thanks for posting.
Hello Starfish, Good to have you on board. I'm not sure if (CPT) CFT can cut anymore. I have staff who has been sharing with and they are worried, they believe the trust is operating below safe limits. What I need is cases where this is happening. I know of what is happening in Longreach, I have had three people who has been on the ward in the last two months. I was guarenteed by the CEO that the proper staffing levels would be maintained and staff would not be tied to the office. that is a different story to what I am being told.

I do need others to share with me their stories. Once I can gather enough evidence, then appropriate action can be taken. There is a failing of service for the treatment and support of BPD. There are clear guidelines given by NICE, these are not being adhere to.

What sort of support are you receiving for your agoraphobia? This can be overcome with the right support.

Please, anyone who are not receiving support make contact with me via ray@wrap.me.uk Also look at website www.suncornwall.com ... I haven't updated lately but there is a lot of LINKS of other support also pages with entertainment and news stories etc.

I do hope we can all support each other and move on to recovery.

(((((Hugs)))))

Ray

S

starfish

rayj, thanks for your reply, i am not feeling too well at the moment, i will reply to you as soon as i feel a bit better.

M

maudikie

To all groups

If anyone is looking for something to do especially during the winter, knitted items such as hats, gloves, socks, mitts, scarves would be appreciated for the mentally ill or others on low incomes. Particulars available from www.u-b-s.org.uk

Gentlemen knitters welcome as well as Nannas.:clap:
No need for them to be:redface:

M

maudikie

I tried for a long time to get things going in Cornwall, but with little success, except a small group who met very occasionally in Truro. I used telephone contact more than anything as the rural area was difficult for peopl to attend meetings. It gets more so in the present financial situation.
I now live in Devon as a carer of my son, who accepts his treatment, is pretty active, but a bit like a butterfly, as his interest changes for short periods 9 days or weeks) from photograpphy, painting, gardening, and after having low concentration had been unable to read, but his ability to do so has now returned, although he finds it difficult, and often has to repeat a page or a chapter to retain the gist of the writing. If there are any of the old group who remember me I should love to hear from them.
I am now getting ancient nd have moved with my son to live with his brother and his wife in Devon. I miss the sea greatly, but have the joy of the trees which I see fom my "granny flat" They are oaks, and must be about 200 years old. Unfortunately Devon is very up and down, and now that I have arthritis i am not able to walk except for a very short distance, nor to attend meetings as I used to in Cornwall. My son still has schizophrenia but it is well catered for on Olanzapine and Kemedrine. although he is active he tires very quickly, but has his own room where he can retire to either read - or I suspect more often "drop off". We haven't yet got a forum in Devon, but I have kept busy searching for research on the web, and kept incontact with someone who has been VERY active in getting groups going in Cornwall. Best wishes to all. maudikie

M

maudikie

:clap:I tried for a long time to get things going in Cornwall, but with little success, except a small group who met very occasionally in Truro. I used telephone contact more than anything as the rural area was difficult for peopl to attend meetings. It gets more so in the present financial situation.
I now live in Devon as a carer of my son, who accepts his treatment, is pretty active, but a bit like a butterfly, as his interest changes for short periods 9 days or weeks) from photograpphy, painting, gardening, and after having low concentration had been unable to read, but his ability to do so has now returned, although he finds it difficult, and often has to repeat a page or a chapter to retain the gist of the writing. If there are any of the old group who remember me I should love to hear from them.
I am now getting ancient nd have moved with my son to live with his brother and his wife in Devon. I miss the sea greatly, but have the joy of the trees which I see fom my "granny flat" They are oaks, and must be about 200 years old. Unfortunately Devon is very up and down, and now that I have arthritis i am not able to walk except for a very short distance, nor to attend meetings as I used to in Cornwall. My son still has schizophrenia but it is well catered for on Olanzapine and Kemedrine. although he is active he tires very quickly, but has his own room where he can retire to either read - or I suspect more often "drop off". We haven't yet got a forum in Devon, but I have kept busy searching for research on the web, and kept incontact with someone who has been VERY active in getting groups going in Cornwall. Best wishes to all. maudikie:clap:

R

RayJ

Cornwall Mental Health Forums are about to get re-started......... AT LAST

Thursday 23rd September 2010, can be rembered as the shadow Service User Representative Group (SURG) in Cornwall, voted to rebuild as proper working Service User network in Cornwall. Re-instating The Mental Health Forums. There were three proposals on the table by Martin Raymount, Karen Campbell and Ray Hancock. All three proposals were well thought out and completly different. Martin would like a Council of Service Users being very structured. Karen was also looking at a central body going out to other Service Users, whilst Ray believe the power should be equally with every single service user, where there is no one power base, but an pure open network. Where ALL Service Users, no matter where they live or what condition they cope with should have a bearing on there availablity to have their say in services.

Click on the link below to view the accepted proposal. Now what we need is for ALL Service Users to become involved with the Forums. It is hoped that by this time next year all Forums will be up and running and ready to have their first AGM's where they will be able to vote for the people to represent them.

SURG accepted RJH proposal 002 230910(2).pdf ( I do not know how to upload a PDF or PowerPoint to this board, but you can open the presentation via www.suncornwall.com

If you cannot open the presentation, it could be you do not have a copy of Acrobat Reader, this can be downloaded free of charge from http://www.adobe.com/uk/ Goto Downloads and download Acrobat Reader.

Attachments

R

RayJ

Maudikie,
I have let the knitters that I know all about the website, so I hope you get a few knitted items.

R

RayJ

Dear Maudikie,

Do hope things are as well as they can be and your son is doing well.

I thought Devon Forums were running well with the help of Exeter MIND

You can find a lot of information at http://www.recoverydevon.co.uk/

I have been on workshops with Laurie Davidson, Richard Brabrook, Ann Ley, Glenn Roberts and the fantastic Dawn Willis. a great buch of people who are really interested in mental Health Recovery. They look at Peer to Peer support, Wellness Recovery Action Planning and many other recovery techniques.

I am very intrested in knowing the person in Cornwall who is VERY active in getting groups going in Cornwall..... Because I do believe we are at last ready to set up groups thoughout Cornwall. Do have a look at the presentation I gave and it has been accepted as a working docment......... there is no way they are going to get out of the implimenting the proposal after an unanimous vote for it :)

We need every Service User to get involved, so we can reverse all the cuts with have had during the last few years and the ones that are in the pipeline.

R

RayJ

Hiya! Sorry for being away for so long...... Just checkin' in

Hi All,
Sorry for being away for so long, not just emotional and mental health problems, but my physical health isn't too good at present. That use to be one thing I could count on... good physical health..... well I'm getting old ain't I.:sleep:

Oh wake up again.... summer has come and gone... did get away to a family wedding in Surrey, first time I have been away for around twenty years.

Had a stay at Sancreed House and a week at Oakleigh, they both helped me. I think everyone should have a week or two in respite. Met some very nice service users at Oakleigh, all four of us had similar conditions, so we could understand each others needs..... that is great when that happens.

Still involved with NHS management meetings also been involved with Plymouth University's Social Workers courses, along with Parish council stuff and political activities, its been busy, but still have those ultra negative feelings and fighting them all the time.

My therapist has helped me from acting on the feeling... though the action and feelings have started to come together again, I think its all this talk about how we are scroungers etc.

The day centre has become the palace of doom and gloom and in Cornwall, which was already the suicide capital of the Uk, suicide figures have risen dramatically. I am often supporting people away from ending their lives because they cannot get anyone else to listen......... I'm always here to listen to other service users.

We do need to make Intentional Peer to Peer support a priorty for the County. If the professionals seemed to af given up on us, then we must look out for each other.

Don't forget if you are in the Redruth area on a Wednesday between 12 noon and 3:00pm at The YMCA ( around the back car park, the first room on the right) all most welcome... drop in have a chat and a cuppa.

Well that's me....... How are you? Please share.:clap:

R

RayJ

You are welcome to attend

:grouphug:Hi All,

We are looking at re-naming Cornwall's Mental Health Forums........ any idea's???????

We are re-launching on 25th November 2010 at City Hall Truro between 11:00am and 2:00pm anyone in Cornwall can attend. There will be a free buffet and you can clain your milage back at 30p per mile. If you need transport, then this can be arranged (free of cost to you) by ringing Jane on 01872- 243532.

Hope to have Linda Hennel come along to give a little information on the different medications and the side effects plus a question and answer session.

It is hoped that all Forums (get-togethers) will be up and running in all areas of Cornwall by the beginning of May next year. We are working on dates and costings at the moment. Once this is done we will put together a programme for 2011, I shall put this up on the www.suncornwall.com website plus shall keep you updated on here.

All people who receive the Forums newsletter should also be notified.

Anyone who would like to get involved in there own area, please e-mail me at Ray@wrap.me.uk

Hope everyone is as well as you can be.:clap::loveshower::grouphug: