Cornwall

B

babycplay

Hello Everyone:welcome: It's about time Cornwall had it's own area. There are a lot of changes taking place. We have some professionals who are stopping Service Users from becoming enabled. Not sure if the are a little fearful for their jobs.

Of course that not the reason why service users and carers need a better voice. We are often the experts of our own issues, but sometimes need others to help us through the crisis.

Have lots of ideas to share and how to move the who Emotional/Mental Health thing forward.

Well first post so better not bore you all to much.

(((((Huggie 4 all)))))):clap:

Libra1

Libra1

Founding Member
Hi babycplay and :welcome: to MHF :)
Unfortunately I am not in Cornwall, but just wanted to :welcome: you and send a :hug:

B

babycplay

Welcome

hi, i live in cornwall!!!

honeysweet xx

Hello Honeysweet, :clap:

Welcome to the group. I have been rather busy, so haven't done much in promoting this forum. Just had some respite, hope to get things up and running around mid June, when I have a little time to do a bit of media publicity.

Are you active with the service user movement in Cornwall?

It could do with a lot more support. :grouphug:

Take care.

H

HONEYSWEET

hiya

i have no idea wot the service user movement in Cornwall is, can u tell me more plz :)

xx

R

RayJ

Service User Movement

hiya

i have no idea wot the service user movement in Cornwall is, can u tell me more plz :)

xx
:confused: Well there are a number of service user initiatives in Cornwall. About 16 years ago a number of service users use to meet informally and weren't too happy with services.

Meetings were arranged with the Chief Executive of the NHS Trust and the County Council. It was decided that a sum of money would be put aside to support service users and encourage them to come up with new ideas.

The first of these was a group entitled "Talking Heads" in Camborne, from this a drop in centre for one day a week was started in Redruth called "The West End Club" and in Camelford "The Camel Club"

It was felt that a co-ordinator was required to assist service users to become more effective and to grow more self help group whilst also meeting with Senior figures in both Social Services and the Health Service.

We had a large input to the 1999 Mental Health Service Framework, also in the building layout of two new hospitals. We held surveys and meetings to find out what other service users and carers wanted.

From these consultative meetings "Nightlink" ( a talking telephone service was started for users and carers, who just wanted to talk with someone, this being run by service users. Also a respite house was purchased (Oakleigh House) this again is staffed by non professionals, service users and ex-service users.

We are trying to get a "Crisis House" and better facilities for people with Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD). We look at all manner of issues and still meet with senior managers. We have a number of self help groups and anyone who wants to start one up are encouraged. The sugestion will come to the Service user group and we will discuss the proposal and allocate resources for it.

Things are not perfect by a long shot, but they are better than when I first had problems. I will continue to fight for better services and care, do hope a lot more people will join in.

:grouphug: Love & Peace Ray J.

H

HONEYSWEET

sounds good :)

oakley and nightlink are a godsend:)

how could u get involved in this?

x

R

RayJ

Oakleigh & Nightlink

sounds good :)

oakley and nightlink are a godsend:)

how could u get involved in this?

x

Hi Honeysweet,

I don't know if you know, but Oakleigh and Nightlink came about because of the Service User Forums in cornwall. We are still fighting for a Crisis House to be set up, maybe on similar terms of Oakleigh. Though Oakleigh and Nightlink are now becoming independent of Cornwall Partnership Trust and the Rural Community Council. It will be run as a Social Enterprise business, with service user input.

There are many things happening at last starting to happen in Cornwall. Last years suicide figures were once again some of the worse in the Country. National average 8 for every 100,000 population, whilst Cornwall it was 15 for every 100,000. So a lot of things need to be put in place, a new Expert By Experience group is being set up by CPT. Do you want to get involved with that? I'm hoping to be involved with the Personality Disorders group, I have it and have researched BDP for the last forty years, I do have a fair knowledge on the issue. I am already on the Suicide Prevention Stratergy workgroup, plus a few others.

Anyone in Cornwall who want to become involved either with the Service User Forums or LINk in Cornwall, where I am joint co-ordinator for Mental Health, Learning Disablities, Drugs & Alcohol, Eldercare and Vulnerable people.
Could do with some support:sleep:.

Take Care

R

RayJ

Needing Help

There is a new service user group being set up in Cornwall. It is part of a national / global community group. Because of the lack of action in Cornwall, they are hoping to make this the first of many groups to be set up and linked together across the UK. It is run as a social enterprise, so it is independent of anything else.

Catch up on the website they are building, give it a bashing and let them see what is and what isn't working before it goes live later this year.

http://www.sun-cornwall.com

Hope all is well.

((((Huggies for all)))):grouphug:

R

RayJ

Service User group / peer to peer support

Hi all, everything is getting very hectic down here. the old service users forums were just stopped in May. We all received a letter to say there will not be another Service User Representative Group meeting until the autumn.

Well I cannot just put my life on hold whilst someone has a whim to go on a jolly around the country to see how other areas run THEIR affairs.

Service Users Forums have always been Service User lead and that is the purpose behind them. We use to be alone, then it was thought it would be good for someone to be co-ordinator to support and enable us. That was great and I believe the right thing to do, then it was all change two years ago. Now we are managed, the whole system, whilst not perfect, it was fit for the job, has fallen apart. It seems like 16 years have been wasted.

Many of the long term service users reps were just cast aside and rejected. There are a few of us who its hit very hard and affected our well-being. So I was greatful when I come across this new Nationwide Service user set up Service User Network UK. It is for all people involved with mental well-being, whether a service user, carer, family or professional, peer to peer supporters. It also crosses the boundaries of Mental Health, Personality Disorder, Learning Disability, Drugs and Alcohol. There is no judgement regarding sex, religion, well-ablement or anything else, everyone is treated equally and uniquely.

Basically the idea is every County will have their own website, but it will link to a Country one. Cornwall is the first trail set up, to see if this is what people want, or how can it be improved.

So if you can visit the site and leave comments on what is missing and what can be improved or maybe there is somethin their you think shouldn't. Any positive critisim would be well received.

The trial site, which is still being built, can be found at;
www.sun-cornwall.com

i have just tried the main site, but it is down for some reason, this can be found at: www.sun-unitedkingdom.com

Who wants to get involved???? Yes Please:tea:

Take care all :grouphug:

R

RayJ

Do you live in Cornwall, Plymouth or West Devon Border

Its been a little while, since the last post..... so much is going on down here is Cornwall.

Trying to set up a database of service users, carers and other people who are intrested in Emotional Health, Mental Health, Drugs & Alcohol, Personality Disorders, Autism and any other type of MIND, BRAIN or NERVE issues.

Cornwall still tops the Country (Besides one place) as the top suicide place in the Country.

Looking at new ways of addressing Emotional and Mental Well-being. I would like to put together a number ofpeople who would like to be part of this research and recovery project.

The long term objective is to help people to recover and to help the professionals to look at new ways of therapy and treating the conditions.

Once we can start to come up with some evidence base theories, then I hope to apply for a research grant, this could mean employing others to carry out further research, such as talking to others about their experiences and finding out what works and what they feel don't work.

This is open to everyone in the area, but you must have the energy to engage with not only service users and carers, but also with professionals.

Living with BPD means that I don't know where my boundaries are and I believe the only way to move the who service user movement forward, is to work without boundaries.

So it means that everyone is included in this project. So many lives are ruined by lack of good health and wellbeing. Though there is also a cost to the Country an estimated 89 Billion pounds a years (though some figures including the social impact are far higher).

The launch day of www.sun-cornwall.com is fast approaching, there are many outside bodies who are getting very excited by the site and are saying, this is the way forward. I'm now working closely with them and feeding in a lot of information about Cornwall. They did have some teething problems, but that seems to be resolved now. Remember Cornwall has been selected as the first of many sites, so even if you do not live in Cornwall do email them and say you would like to set up in your area and join the SUN.

email = [email protected]

Have a good look at the site and see what is missing or what needs re-arranging. This is a not for profit group of service users, at the moment they are funding everything themselves, to prove that this can work an dhelp others.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Love and Peace

Ray :sleep:

R

RayJ

Well Done Mental Health Forum.... #1 in Google search

Last week for three days anyone searching "Service User Cornwall" or "Cornwall Service Users" and this thread showed up at number one, number two was sun-cornwall and number three was emotional.info, this last one doesn't have any actual infomation in it yet, its still to has to be built as part of the Service User Network project. (once up it is hoped to be a good easy to use reference site)

So well done the MentalHealthForum team for managing to get into the search engines....... I still haven't a clue how they list people and I look closley at the top sites, yet their don't seem to be any logic.

Care to all.

Ray J:hug:

L

ladymisswolfe

newbie and support group idea

Hi All,
Just found this forum and so grateful to have found you all. I have BPD (emotional dysregulation) which it has taken 6 years to discover. I live on the Lizard and I'd really like to start a self help group for BPD,BP, Depression sufferers, just to talk with each other once a week, maybe make some friends, have some group activities if we get on well and feel like it.It would be a daytime meet at my house and wondered if anyone might be interested? Just putting it out there really...
Love to hear from you and PM me if you wish.
I'm female aged 38 by the way!

Ladymisswolfe

R

RayJ

BPD Self Help Groups

Hi Ladymisswolfe,

I have to agree with Sapphire77..... do not give out your home address and be very careful of setting up a self help group without research.

I have had BPD for most of my life and like you have found it hard to share with like-minded people.

I did attend a self help group in Truro, but it was so chaotic and disruptive, many service users became worse because of it.

I do run a drop in at Redruth YMCA on Wednesday's 12:00 - 2:00pm. Its a general drop in, this has been running for around 18 years and have only had one incident.

I would say you first need to know what type of BPD you are, everyone is unique, there are over 550 listed variants.

There is a project running Falmouth, (but only for people living in the old Carrick area), this is professional led, yet there has been trouble with some of the clients.

I had a meeting with the Chief Executive of Cornwall Partnership Trust, on Wednesday, this week and stressed the need for more resources for BPD. My daughter also had the condition, but lost her fight for life whilst in Longreach two and a half years ago. There were a lot of failing on the day and the meeting was all about the changes they have made and also what changes are needed.

It would be good if only I could get hold of the figures of the actual number of people who has BPD in Cornwall. I did ask the question at my Daughters inquest about the number of people who are managers for Personality Disorders in Cornwall..... the answer???? ONE.

I belong to the Service User Reps Group and have done for about sixteen years and have constantly tried to get more services. It was myself who first brought to the attention of the CPT, Dielectral Behaviour Therapy (DBT). Though I do believe there are some more effective therapies now a days.

Myself (after all these years, my first episode was at 9, I am now 61) have been having Bio-Dynamic Body Psychotherapy, for the last two years and it is working. I do hope to write a paper on the results, once I feel I have gone as far as I can go, probably another two years. But I do believe if such therapy was given to someone, once someone has a diagnoses, then I do not believe it would take so long.

I believe there are two clear types of Borderlines. The aggressive (Acts outwardly against others) and the other is regressive (Acts out on self which includes eating disorders and harm..... that is my beliefs and not a professionals). But my therapist does work with me via the regressive self.

I'm also working with the new Service User Network Cornwall ( http://suncornwall.com ). Tomorrow I am working alongside with new social workers on a course at Cornwall College via suncornwall and next week I am also meeting with a group of second year psychologist.

Another website, where I gained a lot of insight is http://toddlertime.com It's worth having a look in all areas.

In the New year a new group is starting in Penzance, it starts on January 8th and will be on every Tuesday, will be doing Yoga, Voice and Movement.

On Wednesday's at Sancreed House, Sancreed, there is Arts and Crafts, Wood Carving, Potery, Voice and Movement, Therapy...... starts at 11pm to 1pm and also from 2pm - 4pm, it cost £2 a session. Usually I have someone else running the Redruth Friendship Club, so I can go to Sancreed.

Hope this has been some help, there are some other things happening in the New Year and I will try to see if more things can happen in the Helston & Lizard area.

Take care

(((((Huggies to you))))

Ray

D

diddypinks

ACCOUNT CLOSED
hi everyone

hi delores. hi everyone i'm diddy i'm looking to meet some female friends in cornwall i'm so glad we have this site its well needed.xxx:D

R

RayJ

North Cornwall

hello, i live in cornwall, north area.
:welcome: Dolores, Hope you can share with the forum your experiences of North Cornwall Mental Health and Social care.

Would like to know the sort of support people are receiving.

Also is there anyone who's intrested in service involvement, both paid and volunteering.

You can email me via www.suncornwall.com I have been aproached by various organisiations who would like help from service users.

At present I am doing service user involvement with both Cornwall College and Plymouth University, but I have many other requests, which i do not want to let down, but, I cannot cope with the number of service users who are involved.

Service User Network Cornwall, is still in a shadow stage, still waiting to see if The Service Users Forums will resume (the present state of play, not looking good). If the Cornwall Forums do resume, then Sun Cornwall would not be needed and would integrate back into the Forums.:mad::mad::mad:

A recent development was an email that split the original members further from the new regime. we need service led involement and not management.

Must watch my blood pressure:LOL: so lets have a hug :grouphug:

take care

S

starfish

dolores

thankyou for your post and welcome. i am very tired just now will respond properly when i feel a little better. take care.:grouphug:

M

maudikie

Maudikie

Hi! Everyone. I lived in Cornwall for many years, and when my son got schizophrenia he had some super treatment and wonderful support especially from the C.P.Ns. I know that schizophrenia is considered to be connected with violence, but most of those who suffer are nice people, and often quite shy. I tried for years to get some groups going but without luck as I also had an elderly Aunt and my husband had to have an amputation. so I was kept a bit busy. When a couple of my vertebrae collapsed I realised that I couldn't look after my son much longer, so moved to Devon to be near my other son.
Unfortunately the one with schizophrenia did'nt move with me, but comes up for half each week and is well occupied helping his brother with the garden and other odd jobs. He has a ladyfriend in Cornwall so spends the other half of the week with her. He met her in hospital and she has a different condition.
He is well medicated on Olanzapine and Kemedrine which :grouphug:suit him, and we have never had any difficulties with other people about his illness. I wonder if there are still some members who I know? It would be nice to hear hwo they are getting on. :grouphug:

R

RayJ

Befrienders and service users in Cornwall

Congratulations Twylight I do hope all goes well for you and the pilot scheme. Cornwall partnership trust needs to save a lot of money before the gain Foundation Trust status.

Most people who had CPN's a year or so ago, now do not have any direct support, so a volunteer befriender should help. I do hope they are giving you full supervision, if not ask for it. It is not worth making yourself ill.

In the last six months, I have lost three very close people and I blame it for the lack of support. I know if put a lot of pressure on befrienders and peer to peer supporters, but without you, there could be a lot more suicides.

Cornwall's services and now the Service User Involvement is getting to a point of non-existence in my honest opinion. I am setting up a meeting with the Cornish MP's and the Health Minister Andy Burnham because I am so concerned.

I have been involved with Service User Involvement for around sixteen years and have never known it so bad..... we are not consulted. I am still having input via the Universities, but hardly any meaningful consultations with Adult Social Care, The Primary Care Trust, Royal Cornwall Hospital Trust (Accident Dept) Outlook South West (which is the first stop after the GP) or Cornwall Partnership Trust.

Only three years ago Cornwall was seen as a beacon for the rest to follow, now we seem like a dead duck. No money is now given to Service User Lead initiative, well a little over exaggeration (there is £7,500 to print and send out 4,000 odd 48 page, glossy covered A5 newletters, at least £4,000) before we start, there should be six forums four times a year with travelling cost, estimate cost with hall cost = £1,500, that leaves an almighty sum of £1,000 to facilitate 11 monthly service user voted rep group meetings , two meetings for West cornwall and two meeting in East Corwall, a total Cornwall once a year Conference and travelling expenses for all service users who would like to meet up at SNUG, which is the South West Network Group and can be held anywhere from Bristol to Lands End, the costs is shared between each Trust area. So perhaps Santa Claus does live, how else can proper Service User input be inline with The Government Guidence, or is that just another load of tosh. My meeting with Andy Burnham will need a lot of question answered.

How are other area's coping?

Sorry if this post is a little heavy, it's just that I am totally frustrated and depressed with how things are disintergrating after all the years of such hard work but many people.

But anyway.... Hope you all have a great 2010.
www.suncornwall.com