• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

coping with pet loss

B

berryicecream

I don't know if its okay to post this here, and this is a bit graphic but I don't know where else to go. this site is full of supportive people and thats all I need right now.

my birthday is a few days away, and my dog just died today. I feel as if it was my fault, I was trying to give her a bath and she ran away while I was cleaning her tub. when I found her she heard me calling her name and ran into the street, being hit by a truck that couldn't see her because she was so small. I held her and I can't stop seeing that image, its burnt into my brain and im terrified to go to sleep because of bad dreams. I just wanted to a good week, but im afraid I won't. not after this. sorry if it was too much . I'm really sorry

T

Tomk

Losing them is always the hardest part of pet ownership but we all go through it. The best way to overcome it in my experience is a new pet. They don’t replace the old one but they help you feel joy again and taking care of them helps you not focus on your loss.

B

berryicecream

Losing them is always the hardest part of pet ownership but we all go through it. The best way to overcome it in my experience is a new pet. They don’t replace the old one but they help you feel joy again and taking care of them helps you not focus on your loss.
thank you so much 💗

Wishbone

Wishbone

Sorry for your loss. I lost my dog this year and it was heartbreaking. That part is bad enough but to lose them in a traumatic way makes things much worse so you are well within your rights to be struggling with what happened. I would recommend trying to speak with someone, regular Joe or professional, so that this isn't allowed to haunt you. But what you need to understand is that this wasn't your fault. Accidents happen, freak accidents happen, and sometimes there's just nothing we can do about it. So do not blame yourself, just grieve for your pet, accept that what has happened has happened and there's no turning the clocks back, and slowly move forwards remembering all the good times you gave her.

In fact, you could do that as a starting point as a kind of self-help therapy. Get a piece of paper and write on one side what happened today, and on the other list all of the good things you did for her. I'm sure come the end you'll have many, many more good things to help you know that you were so much more to her than one accident.

B

berryicecream

Sorry for your loss. I lost my dog this year and it was heartbreaking. That part is bad enough but to lose them in a traumatic way makes things much worse so you are well within your rights to be struggling with what happened. I would recommend trying to speak with someone, regular Joe or professional, so that this isn't allowed to haunt you. But what you need to understand is that this wasn't your fault. Accidents happen, freak accidents happen, and sometimes there's just nothing we can do about it. So do not blame yourself, just grieve for your pet, accept that what has happened has happened and there's no turning the clocks back, and slowly move forwards remembering all the good times you gave her.

In fact, you could do that as a starting point as a kind of self-help therapy. Get a piece of paper and write on one side what happened today, and on the other list all of the good things you did for her. I'm sure come the end you'll have many, many more good things to help you know that you were so much more to her than one accident.
im sorry to hear about your dog, I hope you are doing well now. take care of yourself please 💗 I really appreciate the support, thank you so much

S

Supermansgirlfriend

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I have lost many cats, fish and family dogs I grew up with.. Its devastating beyond the pain its bad my sincere sympathy and warm love be a comfort to you many hugs Lo xxx

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

its not your fault ,my cat went missing firework night as i didn't close the cat flap proparly ,i made myself ill with grief and worry for a long time after that
my pets are my life ,i have a almost 2 year old beagle atm and i love her to bits
i hope you have more pets in the future ,your an awesome fur baby mummy to love them as much as you do x

B

berryicecream

its not your fault ,my cat went missing firework night as i didn't close the cat flap proparly ,i made myself ill with grief and worry for a long time after that
my pets are my life ,i have a almost 2 year old beagle atm and i love her to bits
i hope you have more pets in the future ,your an awesome fur baby mummy to love them as much as you do x
take care of yourself and your pets hun, thank you very much 💗💗

S

Supermansgirlfriend

ACCOUNT CLOSED
thank you, please continue to take care of yourself and your pets 💗
Bless your heart, I have Oliver my cat now and two goldfish Versace and carvela.. I hope you seek comfort in more furries my dear, time heals slowly but love never dies or leaves us. Thinking of you xxxxxxx

C

charlieblack5

I’m so sorry that’s awful. You can’t blame yourself. Bless you.

B

berryicecream

Bless your heart, I have Oliver my cat now and two goldfish Versace and carvela.. I hope you seek comfort in more furries my dear, time heals slowly but love never dies or leaves us. Thinking of you xxxxxxx
thank you so much 💗 i hope they're all well

Wishbone

Wishbone

I should also add that this is actually far more common than you may realise. I used to work with dogs and dealt with various things. There were many that had tragic traffic accidents like this, and without even thinking of things all that much I can pick out two specific ones in which the same thing happened. So again, not your fault, and you're not alone in having this kind of thing happen either. Stay strong.