• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Coping with depression

F

Forrest

Hi all

I’ve had depression for almost year now, everyday I wake and think why? Why am I here? Would anyone miss me? Why is my life such a mess?
ive had counselling for the last 6 months, it has helped some what, but I still don’t think I’m making process, my life is still a mess I feel totally unloved and useless, but to the outside world I’m making progress but inside I feel soo low, has anyone got any advice or suggestions to boost my mood, any advice would be much appreciated thanks c

B

bofbof

Hello Forrst .First of all, I want to thank you for sharing your feelings. I know i takes a lot of willpower. I think that you will find a lot of person who can relate and who may help you on this forum . To boost your mood, you may try to socialize(going to a party, hanging out with friends). It might help to share what you feel with someone you trust . You can also do sports , walking,. In a nutshell, I think that in order to feel better, you should go out doing something you like, if possible with a friend. Don't isolate yourself .

JessisMe

JessisMe

Hi Forrest welcome to the forums. I’m sorry to hear that depression has got such a firm hold on you lately. When I was depressed eating well, sleeping well, getting plenty of sunlight and exercise and drinking a lot of coffee kept me going. It wasn’t ideal but it worked for me anyway. I think the above poster offers some great suggestions too like treating yourself to small things. I am a very solitary person so I would almost always isolate anyway but now I live with my parents and I agree that having people with/around you can help you stay in the moment and lift you out if your funk. Hope this is helpful and that you will experience relief from your symptoms shortly. xo, j

F

Forrest

thank you both for suggestions, I have tried the exercise and do go to the gym regular and play football every couple of weeks. its just the i times I'm alone I have a lot going on in life and most of is bad and everyday is struggle to motivate myself, there is soo many times you can keep picking yourself off the floor without thinking you belong there

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

Hi @Forrest
I'm sorry to hear that every day is a struggle to motivate yourself. Don't feel down because of that, because lack of motivation is a symptom of depression. That's great that you're going to counseling. Do you also see a psychiatrist for meds? That most likely will help you with your depression. Also, many of us present ourselves differently to the outside world than to our inner selves. It's a coping mechanism.

S

Saoirse

Hi Forrest,
I feel you so bad when you say it's hard picking yourself off the floor without thinking you belong there - I find this so painfully true for myself also. You are doing so so well to have been going to therapy and posting on here and trying to exercise... It might seem like small stuff, but when depression is dragging down, having to keep pushing yourself back up, back out there... is so incredibly tough. So firstly, acknowledge your victories, acknowledge your strength, acknowledge how brave you are; I know I am... I don't know exactly how useless or unlovable you may be in person, but chances are, this isn't your reality, nor what those around you think. Try to imagine, if it was someone else you knew, who had depression, who felt this way, would tell them they were useless or despise them for it? Sometimes, I like to try and treat myself as I would treat others; we tend to be very generous to others and not so much to ourselves... I'm sure you are frustrated, and it might feel like you're getting nowhere, just take your time, take the good days with the bad