Coping with bipolar and anger issues

A

AmberPhoenyx

Back in March 2018, I was diagnosed with Bipolar II, which explained my heights and depths when it came to excitement/anger and sadness, respectively. I was placed on Lamotrigine (100-150 mg) and it helped about 80% of the way. I’m still having episodes of anger that, when I’m unable to calm myself down, cause me to act out (tear up papers, temptation to throw things, etc.). I haven’t hurt anyone, but my greatest fear is just that. I’m still searching for a therapist, but in the meantime: does anyone else go through this? How do you cope? Thanks!

megirl

megirl

:welcome:
Yes lamotrigine really worked well for me also. However with that agitation and anger part of bipolar we ended just having to increase the dosage until these symptoms settled down.
I oftee find when I am like this I find decreasing anything to stimulating.
I also find journalling can be helpful getting things on paper.
Therapy also would be a great idea

T

Tabby120

@megirl has a good point, it could be that you simply are not on an adequate dose. It might also be good to work out a plan while calm of what you can do to remove yourself from the situation. During some bad times I worked out a code word with my family that told them to leave me alone, that I was losing control, and sometimes I locked myself in a bathroom to remove myself from the person/object that was the focus of my rage.

megirl

megirl

I have also found that when I get that distressed ringing my support people or a friend who can take a bit of control of the situation,and of course someone I trust to tell me:
Stop do some deep breathing
Tell them whats going on and go slowly otherwise they can't work out whats happening
Then they may suggest some distractions,which is in my careplan
If all else fails and my crisis escalates they may come visit me.
And sometimes when the crisis escalates further it may be time to have a spell on the ward's
When I get like this I just can't think rationally so sometimes all it needs is someone to do this for me.
Its a skill that is too hard for many people so you need someone that can do that for you