• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Coping with anxiety, any tips?

D

Drama_llama

I’ve been trying to cope with my anxiety for a while now, it’s getting worse as I now need to take medication to help cope. I never wanted to get this way. I wanted to get better on my own. But obviously, that wasn’t going to work.

I’m starting counselling soon. I’m wondering, to people who’ve had counselling, did it help?what is it like?

also does anyone have any grounding techniques? Usually when I’m really bad, I get a hug (from family not random strangers) I’m not that desperate yet. I don’t know if you can suggest phone apps, but if you can’t, have you ever used them/ did they help? At

I worry about everything, but it’s not just “worrying”. My family have been worried about me lately. They are worried I’ll make myself ill and end up in hospital.

I sometimes (I don’t know if this classes as self harm) but when I’m really anxious, or angry I sometimes hurt myself. It’s not bad, but it’s left some scars (Not bad scars, maybe about 8 or 9 (I don’t want to say what I do, in case it’s not allowed).I kind of use it as a distraction/grounding technique. Does anyone have any other grounding techniques, that won’t hurt me? I don’t want to do it it’s just an impulse

Direisalone

Direisalone

Do you like the sound of rain? Cos there's an amazing app/site that just plays different kind of rain sounds. I used to find that would calm me a lot

nutsie

nutsie

Please try do meditation but you must do every day to get effect

D

Drama_llama

Please try do meditation but you must do every day to get effect
Does it really work? I’ve been wanting to try meditation, but I don’t think I’d do it right - I can’t seem to focus very long. Although, would meditation help with that?

D

Drama_llama

Do you like the sound of rain? Cos there's an amazing app/site that just plays different kind of rain sounds. I used to find that would calm me a lot
Are you allowed name the app?, or are they all basically the same, I got one and most of the sounds had to be paid for.

D

Drama_llama

I do like listening to rain. I’m from Scotland so there’s no shortage of it😄

Direisalone

Direisalone

What I used was a website but sure there should be a free app version I hope D=

nutsie

nutsie

Meditation will work but start only 5 minutes. Look in YouTube to find video how to do

I just count numbers and breathe

J

Jtown

I’ve been trying to cope with my anxiety for a while now, it’s getting worse as I now need to take medication to help cope. I never wanted to get this way. I wanted to get better on my own. But obviously, that wasn’t going to work.

I’m starting counselling soon. I’m wondering, to people who’ve had counselling, did it help?what is it like?

also does anyone have any grounding techniques? Usually when I’m really bad, I get a hug (from family not random strangers) I’m not that desperate yet. I don’t know if you can suggest phone apps, but if you can’t, have you ever used them/ did they help? At

I worry about everything, but it’s not just “worrying”. My family have been worried about me lately. They are worried I’ll make myself ill and end up in hospital.

I sometimes (I don’t know if this classes as self harm) but when I’m really anxious, or angry I sometimes hurt myself. It’s not bad, but it’s left some scars (Not bad scars, maybe about 8 or 9 (I don’t want to say what I do, in case it’s not allowed).I kind of use it as a distraction/grounding technique. Does anyone have any other grounding techniques, that won’t hurt me? I don’t want to do it it’s just an impulse
I would highly recommend cbt therapy. They teach you grounding techniques. I’ll use a roll on essential oil to smell, or if I get really bad I’ll splash my face with cold water. I get the wanting to cause pain because your looking to feel anything besides this torturous feeling going through your body. I haven’t found the fix yet but what I can tell you is medication will only do so much, cbt therapy and medication are highly effective. Finding the right medication and accepting you need it is a hard road on its own. Another thing I’ve learned is to challenge your anxious thoughts. Sometimes saying them out loud to someone or repeatedly writing them down makes you realize how ridiculous your thoughts can be. This is a journey and a really shitty one but we have to believe we can get better somehow.

D

Drama_llama

I would highly recommend cbt therapy. They teach you grounding techniques. I’ll use a roll on essential oil to smell, or if I get really bad I’ll splash my face with cold water. I get the wanting to cause pain because your looking to feel anything besides this torturous feeling going through your body. I haven’t found the fix yet but what I can tell you is medication will only do so much, cbt therapy and medication are highly effective. Finding the right medication and accepting you need it is a hard road on its own. Another thing I’ve learned is to challenge your anxious thoughts. Sometimes saying them out loud to someone or repeatedly writing them down makes you realize how ridiculous your thoughts can be. This is a journey and a really shitty one but we have to believe we can get better somehow.
I don’t do the harming thing very often, it’s only when I’m really, really anxious/ upset. But I still do it, which is bad enough I guess. I’m getting an assessment next week, so I may end up getting CBT therapy, is that like counselling? I’m going to start talking to a professional though. It can be a really shitty journey, but I think I’m lucky to still have good times. I know meds with only do so much, which was why I was reluctant to take them, I also thought I would be a zombie. But I’m determined to get better, so I’m open to trying anything.

W

WutheringHeights

Hi! I'm glad you made the decision to start going to counseling, I hope you will have a good experience. I also want to go through a psychological assessment because I need to at least know what's wrong with me even if I don't think I would have the money to afford therapy long term.

My coping mechanism when I feel anxious is sleep, which is not necessary the best because I already sleep too much but when I wake up I feel much much better. I tried meditation apps but they don't work very well for me.

Take care :)

D

Dispatch

I suggest researching online about supplements that help with anxiety ... I’ve found these help me with racing thoughts ... if I calm down my thoughts I usually can eventually calm the anxiety

J

Jtown

I don’t do the harming thing very often, it’s only when I’m really, really anxious/ upset. But I still do it, which is bad enough I guess. I’m getting an assessment next week, so I may end up getting CBT therapy, is that like counselling? I’m going to start talking to a professional though. It can be a really shitty journey, but I think I’m lucky to still have good times. I know meds with only do so much, which was why I was reluctant to take them, I also thought I would be a zombie. But I’m determined to get better, so I’m open to trying anything.
It’s therapy that targets anxiety and depression. It helps you find out your triggers which is the first step to figuring out how to control anxiety.

nutsie

nutsie

There is good online CBT therapy free

I try find. I think we cannot post link here so I think of clever way to telling you