• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Coping with anxiety and depression without medication .

C

cherbear

After a truly horrendous last few days i'm off medication as it has been agreed all round that my being on medication is detrimental to my health and my own safety is at risk . So i'm now entering the psychiatry route and for the first time in a very long time I have seen that I have a chance to be happy . Anxiety and depression is what I have but does not sum up who I am . It's a relief that after twenty years i'm starting to get my life back . It's been a journey of highs and devastating lows . There seems to be a silver lining under this all and i'm starting to peel it back and find the good things . As always love and hugs to all xxxx

Last edited:
StillFighting

StillFighting

I used to be on medication as well, and made me feel much worse. I'm glad you're going off them since they were of no help to you, and that you're able to feel hopeful :)

That may be a stupid question (and you don't have to answer), but what do you mean you're entering the psychiatry route? (I was prescribed medication by a psychiatrist, so I'm a bit confused)

C

cherbear

Hi Stillfighting , thank you , how are you hunny ? Not a stupid question at all hunny xxx Never been given a psyciatrist to see until I was in hospital a few days ago have only had medication and hypnotherapy prescribed to me by GPs . Was on a waiting list to see a thrapist and had still seen no one . After my being a complete mess and ending up in hospital twice I have seen lots of psychiatrists and it has been so helpful to me . Medication ruined me in evey sense . So it's been agreed that I should never be given medication again and get help via psychiatrists . xxxx

StillFighting

StillFighting

Ok, that makes sense! Those waiting lists are a hell, and I'm sorry you weren't referred to someone earlier. Judging from my experiences as well, I get a feeling that doctors sometimes wait until someone becomes a complete mess, until they give them further help, and that's a shame... Glad you're getting some real help now, you deserve it :)

I've been.. I'm not sure how I am really. There's so much in my mind, sometimes I feel I'm going crazy. I'm trying to take it slow, one thing/day at a time, and that helps. being around here also helps, and I'm grateful for that :)

Gajolene

Gajolene

A little confused as to who agreed meds never again with you. I,ve been on and off meds over the years. Gp,s gave me ones that didn't work that were horrible but my psych found ones that worked very well and I can fall back on when I feel I need to go back on. Good luck with learning to cope without them.. Use the coping tools they teach you as best you can. Take care.

C

cherbear

Thanks StillFighting x Hugs . I know exactly what you mean ! My head is a constant whir and I get the feeling too that it's only when you are in a real state that the help starts coming . Hope you get to where you want to be . You can PM me anytime if you would like to xxx

C

cherbear

Hi Gajolene ! I have a history of attempted suicide when taking medication . I have tried alot of different types but nothing works the side effects I get are really bad too to the point it effects my physical health aswell . Medication has caused me more harm than good . It was agreed with my GP that seeing a psychiatrist would be more benficial for me long term . I have had a really bad experience with medication again recently and been in hospital a couple of times . So it has been agreed by the senior medical Doctor , Psychiatry team and Gp that psychiatry is better for my long term health than medication . Hope you are ok ! xxx

Last edited:
Gajolene

Gajolene

I have chronic complex Ptsd, (going on 25 years now) which when in relapse causes a lot of mh and physical problems. Aside from sleep aids when insomnia and sleep deprevation starts kicking in have been off Ssri,s going into my 4th year now. I focus on helping my sons mainly but have gone back into psychotherapy to help me combat agorophobia, panick and social anxiety issues. And for help with coping with caregiving for my two adult sons with severe mental illness, and getting life back for myself.
I use my coping tools, and take life one day at a time. I celebrate small accomplishments and try not to berate myself when triggered into relapsing symptoms now. I would never go back to a gp again for any mh issues. Rely on your mh team, be completely honest, hold nothing back. Thanks for your concern. And take good care of yourself. Huge hugs and thanks for sharing your experiences.

Last edited:
C

cherbear

Sending you a huge hug . Sorry to hear you are going through much yourself . You sound like an amazing Mum helping your sons when you are getting help too . Thanks for sharing too . You are very welcome to PM if you would ever like too . xxxx

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I'm loving the optimism in this post Cherbear.
Sometimes it can feel like you're destined to feel low forever, but there is always hope.

Even being open to the possibility of hope is huge progress, so well done to you. :hug1:

C

cherbear

Aw thanks SS that's lovely of you to say , how are you ? Having so much intensive psychiatry sessions has been really good . Alot of it comes down to others in my family not respecting my choices in life and accepting that I am better where I am with my partner and his Mum in Edinburgh than I am with them in Norwich . My Dad is great he misses me but knows I have to live my own life . Others try to guilt trip me for moving away but the truth is they are quite controlling your life alot of the time is not your own . You are given very little peace . Also opened my eyes to the fact that due to certain events My growing years were pretty awful . So i'm learning that though they are my family I don't have to accept their negativity . A Medical Doctor said to me if people are unwilling to accept that you have depression stuff them ! lol Hope you are ok hunny ? xxxx

Last edited: