F

flyer

I find music to be a good distraction from voices, particularly from the guy who keeps telling me to shut up.

N

natalie

HI all,

It's nice to see on here others, who find music to be beneficial, to help with hearing voices and in my case, to prevent voices to filter through, even if I'm feeling slightly tired. When very tired, the voices can';t be helped, otherwise, i still today am very proactive music listening, to be a powerful tool.

Kerome

Kerome

Making music is good also, i have a harmonica I like to play which focussed the mind and keeps things together. Still learning but it's a good distraction.

One thing I tried yesterday, some ground cloves on the tongue. The taste is intense and powerfully burning, it blasts everything out of the head for a good long while. Seems to affect energy in the gut too.

Kerome

Kerome

One other thing I should mention has not yet been mentioned but which also works well for me, is dance. If I just move to the rythm, get loose and get funky, letting the head roll, maybe playing some Daft Punk and just let the body do its thing, then after a solid 20 minutes I get better. Sometimes this is accompanied by all kinds of little clicks in and around the body.

rasselas.redux

rasselas.redux

ACCOUNT CLOSED
there are two ways i understand it

ill tell you about the first and youll have to pay me for the second

first type of voice hearer is a fantasist

they have taken their childhood imaginations into adulthood

so they have imaginary friends

this is ok and i am tolerant about it

they have imaginary friends as adults

all well and good

not all their pretend friends are nice to them

but some are

they can teach their imaginary friends if they are nasty to be nice to them

there is a spiritual component, as always

imaginary friends may be proof that death is not final

strike a light

Kerome

Kerome

Another thing that has worked for me, rubbing the skin of the legs vigorously, followed by a bit of massage of the leg muscles to relax the bottom half of the body. It released a lot of good feeling, and completely quieted the voices for a good couple of hours.

Going to the cinema to watch a feel good movie, in this case Pixar's Inside Out, also seems to have shaken things up a bit. Some things are missing, or things are simplified.

Kerome

Kerome

One more thing to mention, trying to sleep while listening to an audio recording of ocean waves also did something weird, it cleared up a whole series of tactile hallucinations, barrier like things that were hovering around me. I found it quite relaxing. Perhaps it is worth trying. I used this recording:

Kerome

Kerome

And one more thing, asking my voices about their greatest mistake made a big impact. They referred to it as their "last chance". Not sure if that carried over to others or is just part of my internal mythology, but it is worth trying if you can interact with your voices.

T

tender

A strategy I natrually evolved in to was talking/arguing with the voices.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I don't think I am schizophrenic. I just hear strange voices that sound like real people.

E

Eigau

Progressive Relaxation Technique

Sitting on an open-sided chair with your arms hanging at your sides, slow deep breaths, in through the nose and out through the mouth. Do the following: (Approximately five minutes per day or as needed and able)

1. Raise your eyebrows and hold for five seconds, then release. Do this three times.
2. Raise your cheeks in a large grin and hold for five seconds, then release. Do this three times.
3. Tilt your chin upward and hold for five seconds, then release. Do this three times.
4. Bring your shoulders upwards and hold for five seconds, then release. Do this three times.
5. Make your hands into fists and touch them to your shoulders, hold for five seconds, release. Repeat three times.
6. Tense your abdomen and hold for five seconds, then release. Do this three times.
7. Tense your bottom and hold for five seconds, then release. Do this three times.
8. Tense your thighs and hold for five seconds, then release. Do this three times.
9. With your heels on the ground, bring your toes upward and hold for five seconds. Do this three times.
10. Curl your toes downward and hold for five seconds. Do this three times.

Now, perform steps 9 to 1.

After performing step one again. Let your head hang down, your arms hanging at your sides, slow deep breaths for 30 seconds.

Linda1989

Linda1989

MUSIC MUSIC MUSIC ESPECIALLY:mrgreen: MUSIC
MUSIC MAKES ME HAPPY ESPECIALLY:D MICHAEL JACKSON

Kerome

Kerome

Lately I have been taking a hint from Buddhist sages. My voices once told me, "we have to enter you through your senses". Now in the Heart Sutra there is a reflection which goes, briefly summarised, 'the realisation that brought me enlightenment was that my senses are empty, my sense objects are empty, the forms in my mind that they generate are empty.'

So I have been telling both tactile and audible hallucinations, "you are within my senses, therefore you are empty." And boom, they vanish. This behaviour has been consistent over a couple of days, although admittedly there have been only a few cases where it has been necessary. One voice asked me not to say it, because it disturbed their reality.

Which is something I have argued over with them, reality and finality.

New Heart Sutra translation by Thich Nhat Hanh | Plum Village

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Sounds very civilized Kerome.

E

Eigau

That's great Kerome, I'm glad it's working for you. Maybe it will work for others too.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mischief Hearing Voices Forum 1