• We have just changed our forum software and are still tweaking things. You can log in using your existing user name and password. If you spot any problems please let us know by posting in the Feedback and suggestions section of the forum.

Watch this short film to find out how to use the new forum!

E

Eigau

Hi there, these are some helpful techniques that I think may of help to others. This may be of use to low to mid level intensities. But if you find that you are not coping, even though you may be trying these suggestions, it is important to seek help from a medical professional:

Focussing Techniques
Identify your voices, number, gender, age etc
Reason with your voices
Listen for positive voices
Schedule time for the voices
Let a trusted person interview your voices
Write down what the voices say

Positive Emotional Techniques
Listen to upbeat music
Make a list of blessings
Get friends to write positive things about you
Make a list of your assets and strengths
Read positive scriptures
Read jokes online
Say positive affirmations
Record in your voice positive things about you
Watch comedy tv/movies

Look After Yourself
Do something nice for yourself each day
Eat healthy
Exercise regularly
Keep to a daily routine
Plan your day
Set realistic goals
See that life has grey areas too

Emotional Focusing
Talk to a mature person
List emotional triggers
List a plan b for emotional triggers
Paint/draw/scribble emotions
Keep a mood diary
Write poetry

Coping Techniques
Keep free from illicit drugs
Singing
Games
Support Groups
Good friends
Comedy
Identify most likely times you hear voices
Keep a diary
Cooking
Chores
Exercise
Music
Massage
Prayer
Sleep
Talk to a mature person

Unhelpful Things
Self-medicating/ taking yourself off meds
Being told not to talk about voices
Not talking about your voices [bottling up]
Disturbing dreams
Lack of sleep
Being told it’s your imagination
Negative thinking
Isolation

Relaxation Techniques
Acknowledging fear, worry and stress and letting go
Slow deep breathing
Dancing/walking
Listen to relaxing music
Massage
Exercise

Crisis Techniques
Tell a mature person
Plan in advance for emotional triggers
Cry
Have a safe place
Get rid of possible self-harm implements
Have PRN meds
Remind yourself that it will pass
Shout into a pillow
Identify the trigger and write it down

Comforting Techniques
Change bedding
Eat favorite food
Hot bath
Hot drink
Hug someone
Music
Prayer
Illuminate dark rooms
Sing
Soak feet
Comfort a pet
Incense
Write in a diary

General Ideas
Don’t expect perfection from yourself
List assets and strengths
Positive affirmations
Self-forgiveness
Voice dialogue
Listening to two separate sound sources in each ear, one music the other a book

Distraction Techniques
Movies
Chores
Games
Exercise
Gardening
Music
Paint/draw/scribble emotions
Shopping
Sports
Phone a friend
Visit a friend
Walk by the sea
Bathing
Write

Source: www.hearing-voices.org; www.hearingvoicesnetwork.com; Intervoice: The International Hearing Voices Network

Last edited:
W

wellness

Hi,
For the suggested Coping Strategies:
Focussing Techniques
Identify your voices, number, gender, age etc
Reason with your voices
Listen for positive voices
Schedule time for the voices
Let a trusted person interview your voices
Write down what the voices say

From my personal experience with dealing with the "Voices" that infect me ... I don't think this is a good strategy to cope and deal with the "Voices" ... Instead I would recommend the following:
1. It is almost impossible to identify and distinguish to such an extent each "Voice" ... one will have to just sit around wrapped up within his/her own head ...
2. A better approach would be to get more "Insight" into the "Voices" and a Clear Perspective such as the one from my Thread here -- http://www.mentalhealthforum.net/forum/thread80026.html
3. Develop the skill to get on with normal life and live life to the fullest with having the "Voices" being a "pre-occupation" ... transition the "Voices" from being a "Bother and pre-occupation" to just a "Distraction".
4. Develop the great coping technique of being able to dismiss all that the "Voices" are screaming at you as ULTIMATELY being all just "Auditory Hallucinations" and IGNORING it all.
Cheerio !!

bootoblue

bootoblue

Please don't shout at them, i don't think it works.

Last edited:
bootoblue

bootoblue

Distraction Techniques

Singing out loud.
Humming
Listening to music.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

wellness

Please don't shout at them, it does'nt work.
Hi boottoblue,
You're absolutely right !! "Shouting" at the "Voices" will not work at all .. you will only be driving yourself mad and come off as a fool blabbering away ... the best strategy ultimately is to "Develop the insight" and IGNORE them !!...:clap:
Cheerio !!

Last edited:
W

wellness

I think Listening to Music is best !!

Cheerio !!

Gajolene

Gajolene

Music and video games works best for JS as well, for the upsetting voices he uses an online radio station to sleep Meditation Radio Stations he prefers the nirvana station linked there at night for sleeping, The unfortunate part is he still believes the voices are real and will not accept that they are not. He does shout at the voices out in the yard and sometimes in public if he is off his meds and manically paranoid and hearing his voices at the same time. It is embarrassing for me and scary for other strangers who hear him. He hasn't done that since last summer however.

bootoblue

bootoblue

Initially some of these approaches work but I find are short lived.

Anyone has ways to help with visual hallucinations? I keep seeing a gang of lads, I see them seriously hurting me, they have it in for me?

Kerome

Kerome

I've found singing to be very effective, sometimes I've even gotten voices to sing along and some have disappeared after singing with me as well. I found songs made for singing, like Christmas Carols, to work much better than trying to sing a pop song.

The other thing that I've found useful lately is listening to binaural beats on YouTube, especially the "golden frequency". It's almost like that realigns my ears and banishes stuff that shouldn't be there, like tinnitus or voice like impulses, to a different space.

N

natalie

HI, it's Natalie Berg here,

I have suffered with hearing voices for as long as I can remember; they were at their worst in my earlier years only not so much nowadays. I tend to find, that regular frequent dance workouts, and also listening to music in which listening to music through my personal cd player is theraputic for me, and also very effective. For relaxation techniques and i thought I just read something, I do have the odd back massage done here and there, to help sooth any tensions out of me, and I'll like to cross stitch design work with my walkman on. When they happen, boy - they are very loud, muffled, not too clear, I have been going through stress as of late, so that's probably the reason how and why, and also, if I'm very tired. They are singular voice - not a group of them, not all jumbled up. I don't carry out instructions, from the voices, in fact, whe the voice should occur, on goes the walkman, when I'm able to do so, I'll either will knit, to destress, thoroughly or, I'll go straight into a hard and faster dance workout when I am able to do so. The voices don't happen as much these years, everything is all stablised and under control.

These are basically my coping stratagies for managing maitaining, and counteracting at times the heard voice I might suffer with. I'm absolutely fine, hearing voices wise (my time) presently. No hearing voices problems at all. As I say, if I get very tired, or if I'm very stressed out, then the heard voice does flare up.

Natalie Berg.

S

shotme

I have found a way that when in public talking back to them or repeating what they say to use a mobile to the ear, this way people will think one is on the phone.

burt tomato

burt tomato

Forum Guide
I have found a way that when in public talking back to them or repeating what they say to use a mobile to the ear, this way people will think one is on the phone.
I am too shy to do that. The voices are hear, are more distant and muffled now. Less direct.

I am trying some of that bin-aural beats - its interesting.

N

natalie

HI all,

I had forgotten to mention, that when listening to music, I will use my personal cd player, in at home, not on the bus or train because I wouldn't be able to hear announcements otherwise, in at airports, pre and just after checking in, maybe just after checking in, for a flight, and also on the aircraft. I will then listen to my personal cd player, in the hotel lounges, whilst waiting to check in, if we had a wait, for me to be able to do that, in hotel room, and also by the poolside. but certainly not in restaurants. In the early years of my mental health brewing up I suffered with a lot of anxiety - then I attempted to use my walkman in restaurants for the purposes whilst waiting; I don't need to do that so much now.

Listening to music I feel, and always has done, been able to keep me calmer, much more relaxed, and to keep the sczhophrenic side hearing voices, or voice hearing, at bay, so that they don't flare up.

Natalie Berg.

A

amimad319

Bootoblue, are you seeing them with your eyes open or closed? Are you in a dimly lit room? Are you alone? I have had visuals as well but usually in very dim light or when I have my eyes closed I see shadows around me that seem to be beating me... I get them to stop by getting one person that I trust in my mind and he helps to protect me from them until they go away. I don't know if it will help you but it's worth a try... after all this is all just our own thoughts turning us against ourselves... it's pretty unbelievable that our own mind can literally make us crazy.

T

Tunca

Hi, I have realized my voices stop when I am actively thinking about something else, read a book, really focus on another topic. I think I hear the voices more when my mind is free, it starts wandering around freely and that frustrates me. I thought I started hearing them a year ago but remember on and off moments since 2009. Just want to be ok again.

burt tomato

burt tomato

Forum Guide
I find when the voices are loud and persistent there is not much I can - bar sleeping or sitting doing nothing.

In general I am trying to adjust my life in a longer term while hoping that the voices will eventually cease, or at least become more bearable.

Kerome

Kerome

I've been experimenting with chanting and throat singing, and have found them very effective not just against voices but against all kinds of mental noise and energetic obstacles in the body and head. If you have a thick, sandy feeling in the head, a trapped feeling, or the idea of partitions or obstacles filling you up, then a good throat singing session can clear you right up.

I use this YouTube video to chant along to, it was excellent this morning:

F

Forever78

Shouting out

Hi boottoblue,
You're absolutely right !! "Shouting" at the "Voices" will not work at all .. you will only be driving yourself mad and come off as a fool blabbering away ... the best strategy ultimately is to "Develop the insight" and IGNORE them !!...:clap:
Cheerio !!
Hi

This is what my Husband is doing of late and shouting out back at his voices. I do not think he has any insight into it though is able to open up to me and tell me "people are telling him to f..k off". Neighbours, people walking past, whilst driving with windows up etc. Past yr has become more often. Been occurring for a couple of yrs. Though he believes it's happening, and denies that no one is around when he hears it. Not sure of my avenue on what to do? He lacks sleep, is stressed so has all the elements that add up to this. I guess he brushes it off and I ignore it as such and just say what ever when it happens(meaning I don't read into it) and we just change the topic. Maybe it's more me worried than it actually effecting him at all? If this is possible Should I just ignore it, knowing that he hears these but doesn't on the front seem to phase him? Thanks

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post?

Kerome

Kerome

Hi Forever78, this thread is more for accumulating people's tips and tricks that they have found help them with coping with their voice hearing. For specific advice about your husbands case you're better off making a separate thread maybe under the Hearing Voices forum.

Hope this helps, and welcome :welcome: