• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Coping mechanisms??

R

roses_in_december

Hi,

I'm new to this site. Thought I'd say hello. :)

I'm just about back on track after a very bad patch, where I almost threw it all away. My doctor diagnosed me with severe depression about 14 months ago which was a real turning point for me after many years of feeling horribly alone and as if there was something fundamentally wrong with me.

But I am worried. I always have good phases followed by really bad ones, but the bad ones seem to be getting increasingly bad, so although I'm back on track I'm scared about the next time. Does anyone else feel like this? My doctor is very good but my medication just keeps being increased (first citalopram 20mg then 30mg then 40mg...now I've been switched to fluoxetine and my dosage of that had just been upped). I worry that eventually they will run out of drugs to keep giving me! I've been waiting for CBT on the NHS for 14 months now (I can't afford to go private) I've tried counselling but that wasn't especially useful for me. I guess my question is does anyone have any good coping mechanisms other than medication that I can use until the CBT comes through. Exercise does seem to be the only thing that works, as well as the meds that is!

Sorry for such a long post. All advice is gratefully received.

Warm Wishes,

Roses In December

U

uniwired

Hey, sorry to hear your struggling. When I feel extremely low I make a concious effort to remove all songs that make me unhappy from my playlists. I dont listen to happy music, because thats a bit patronizing, but listening to neutral music that I like sometimes helps me.

T

TOONAFISH

Hi Roses:welcome:

Glad you are getting back on your feet. It is a worry that I have too, will they run out of drugs to give me. Ive had loads.

The things I do to help are, exercise regularly def helps, eat well, stopping drinking like a fish!, spending some time on myself,

As far as cbt I am having it atm, i waited years. there are a few quite good books on cbt that i read while waiting, and whilst it isnt the real thing it did help.

I have to say that i thing my sessions with psychologist really help me so could do for you too.

As pp said music, uplifting music, whatever your thing is, helps al lot.

Good funny films too.

And i quite liked the 'chicken soup for the soul' books too. Helped to have a bit of a cry.

speak soonx

R

roses_in_december

Some good suggestions. Thankyou both:). I hadn't thought of getting a book on CBT but I will definately give it a go. I'm not looking for a miracle cure just little things that will make the difference during those long nights when things get really hard.

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
I wrote out some little cards with sayings on them like "This is not the time to make a big decision" and "Thoughts are not facts" - it sometimes helps to look at those if things are really bad. Also distraction has worked pretty well for me - so doing sudoku or playing on one of my children's DS - the Professor Layton game is good - something that occupies my brain and my hands rather than just reading or listening to music seems to work best.

Oh, and there are lots of meds still to try if you don't feel what you are taking is helping much. Take care and I hope you can find some things that work for you.

T

TOONAFISH

rollinat - what a good idea, those two things you mentioned are ideal for me. thanks v much x

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
You are very welcome Toonafish!

R

roses_in_december

Thankyou so much for all the suggestions and messages of support. I had a look at moodgym...I'm definately going to give it a go. And having sayings on cards is a really good one too. Thanks again.

Roses x