Coping Mechanisms for adult ADHD (inattentive)

S

scarletspy

I've never been assessed but I believe I have inattentive ADHD. I identify with many of the symptoms like:

- being easily distracted (and I startle really easily too)
- zoning out during conversations
- getting frustrated during conversations because it feels the like person is taking forever to finish their story
- sometimes I get sort of giddy during conversations and have to stop myself interrupting and wait til it's my turn
- I find it really hard to finish tasks because I lose interest
- I find it hard to start tasks because I get overwhelmed about where to start and getting everything organised
- I'm constantly forgetting things like appointments and what someone said to me
- I'm pretty much late for everything, even if I try to leave early
- my room is always cluttered because, although I try, I can never seem to get organised
- I'm irritable and struggle with patience
- Sometimes I get so focused on something I like (reading, researching a topic that interests me) that I lose track of time to find hours have passed.
- I get frustrated watching TV so have to watch on my computer so I can fast forward through slow bits
- in school my report card always sad something like 'talks too much' or 'distracts other with talking'.
-I would procrastinate until the last possible minute before doing homework/essays, etc and could never focus to study for exams

I do suffer from social anxiety so it may be that causing the symptoms above but I get these symptoms even at home where I'm completely relaxed (I'm only anxious if I have to go out). Regardless of whether it's ADHD or anxiety, the symptoms are killing me. I feel like I can't fit everything in so I end up getting nothing done. I feel constantly frazzled and exhausted.

I'm looking for people with similar symptoms to share any coping mechanisms they've established to help manage their inattention/forgetfulness/disorganised brain. I've tried thing like writing to-do lists but I always forget to look at them throughout the day :(

G

goodgollymiss

You're an excellent writer. I was not the best student and used to procrastinate. Now I do the assignments two weeks ahead of time. I do twenty minutes of work and then take a couple of hours rest. Sometimes I don't do much (Maybe an hour or less a day). Baby steps are important. Even starting with just an outline or a paragraph the first day is needed

S

scarletspy

Thanks! I'll admit I did quite well in school but it was more natural aptitude than any studying. I struggle quite a lot with breaking things down into smaller steps. I end up putting things off but sometimes I get super focussed and power through a big task at once (eg cleaning the house). I know that if I don't finish, I won't go back to it.

G

goodgollymiss

Thanks for the reply! :). Hopefully some pertinent comments are made for you