• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Copd coughing up phlegm scared I’m dying please help asap

J

Jtreyo1989

Ok so I n ow I freak out that I’m dying from everything from heart problems to colon cancer I’m always freaking out that I’m dying but now I’m seriously scared to death. Please read this all of it .

ok so now for like 9 months now since September of last year I cough up green phlegm. Especially in the morning and the phlegm when I cough it up makes me gag and almost throw up.
It’s hard for me to breath after I eat idk why but when I eat I can’t breath I can’t do normal things after I eat. So in December I went to the doctor of course chest X-ray was normal and I took a pft breathing test this is what is scary ..
The test showed very mild obstruction so the test said I had mild copd ...
But my doctor said it probably isn’t mild copd just normal deconstruction of my lungs cuz I’m a smoker but said even if it is I’ll be just fine it was just mild .
Yes I’m a smoker but I just can’t quit I just can’t I’ve tried and tried but I can’t .
But I’m constantly clearing my throat all day long I have some breathing difficulties I cough up phlegm every single day like everyday it sounds like I’m dying in the morning.
The phlegm can be green yellow or brown and clear I always have post nasal drip and now I’m just looking up copd and now I’m convinced I’m dying of lung disease .
Let’s say this is mild copd am I gonna die soon ?? I’m so so so scared I can’t eat or sleep and I just keep thinking I’m dying from copd ..
Has anyone coughed up phlegm for this long?? Can this just be from smoking and not lung disease I’m so scared

Mario82

Mario82

Taking a break
People who smoke sometimes do cough up phlegm if it is affecting their lumbs. My mum smoked for years until she was in hospital in 2004 and is asthmatic (she very much regrets it) and she coughs a lot and coughs up some stuff in the morning.

I am sure you are fine, I know all about throat sensations and clearing your throat during anxiety attacks though, they are absolutely horrible.

Faith198

Faith198

I promise you aren’t going to die but I would try to stop smoking. It sounds like the effects of smoking because my older sibling use to smoke and complain of the same things.

J

Jtreyo1989

I cough up this stuff every single day and I’ve done it for about 9 months now straight it won’t go away it’s get so bad especially in the morning it makes me gag to and sometimes throw up when I cough it up but I cough it up everyday all my friends and co workers look at me like I’m crazy when I’m coughing it up they go dude you sound like your dying and that scares me so it’s not just sometimes I cough this up every single day of my life

Mario82

Mario82

Taking a break
I cough up this stuff every single day and I’ve done it for about 9 months now straight it won’t go away it’s get so bad especially in the morning it makes me gag to and sometimes throw up when I cough it up but I cough it up everyday all my friends and co workers look at me like I’m crazy when I’m coughing it up they go dude you sound like your dying and that scares me so it’s not just sometimes I cough this up every single day of my life
It sounds like you should go back to the doctor. I am pretty sure it's a combination of the smoking and anxiety though. Plus the mild COPD.

J

Jtreyo1989

Does mild copd mean I’m gonna die in ten years I’m 30 years old now so will I die before I’m 30 cuz of mild copdq

C

Chaz Mahal

You are not going to die--I know how you feel, though. Mild COPD is a real thing, but the anxiety is what is making things worse. My recommendation would be seeking out a therapist to help you with your anxiety. If you can, find someone who also does hypnotherapy which could also help with the smoking. I know it seems counterintuitive, but finding peace in your mind is more critical than what you are feeling in your body.

I understand a little of what you're feeling. For me it is the heart stuff and fear of having a heart attack. I know the truth--that my heart is fine--but I still get so afraid and it makes things worse. I actually signed on here tonight because I often need to be encouraged and remember I am not the only one dealing with this stuff.

You're going to be ok. Thanks for trusting us with what you're going through.