• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Conversation without Alcohol?

T

tobermory

So, I've been drinking daily for 7 years now and trying to quit (after three unsuccessful attempts and two brain seizures). Last night, I did not drink (medication assisted). The trouble is, its as if I have just forgotten how to talk interesting or even how to keep up a conversation without drink. Any tips?

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Well done for not drinking last night.
I've never had addiction issues, but from what I understand it's incredibly difficult to deal with.

There is an art to being able to strike up and maintain a conversation, but I think it takes practise.
Do you have close family or friends that you can spend time with when you're sober, so you can practise conversational skills with them?
I think it's better to try with people who you are close to so that it'll be less awkward.

I'm sorry I can't give you any more advice. Maybe someone else who can relate to your situation better than I can may have better ideas.
I wish you the best of luck with quitting drinking.