Conversation with Manager about BPD?

L

lostbutnotforever

I am returning to work next week after taking a 6 week long leave due to my mental health decline and a surge of my BPD symptoms. I am trying to figure out how to talk with my manager regarding my leave and whether or not it's time for me to disclose that I have BPD. I have already talked with her about my past with self-harm when it was relevant in response to a triggering situation last year. She was very supportive, and also spoke about some of her history with mental health.

I had to go on leave at the end of April of this year when I was hospitalized for being actively suicidal. My manager knows that I spent a week in inpatient care, and have since been doing an intensive outpatient program (6 hours a day, 4 days a week), but I still haven't named the actual diagnosis.

Has anyone had positive conversations with their managers or co-workers about BPD? I've heard a lot of the horror stories from telling people, but I've known my manager for 2 years at this point and I trust her. I'm hoping that disclosing my BPD will help me avoid another breakdown like this at work but I don't want to risk my relationship with her.

Lunus

Lunus

With what you have already told your manager I don’t think putting a label of BPD on your illness is going to freak her at all as I believe she’ll continue to be supportive of you. And hopefully, once she knows it will take a certain amount of pressure off you.

megirl

megirl

I think its good if you feel safe about mental health issues

megirl

megirl

I have a close a very close friend who I have tried to explain my BPD diagnosis she just can't grasp the idea, she doesn't get it at all despite being a very good nurse.
I would explain to your boss your symptoms but maybe not the specific BPD diagnosis. Or explain the symptoms first then say you have a BPD diagnosis