• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Contrary to popular opinion “major depression” can respond to non-drug options!

C

cherbear

Very true I have been taken off medication as it has been found to be detrimental to my physical health , my mental health and in regards to my own safety also . They think I will respond better to lectures on anxiety and depression and reading texts on it too joined with psychiatry sessions and CBT group sessions . I'm coping better now I'm off medication and studying the subject instead . Even the Doctors and psychiatrists I have been speaking to don't think that medication is the answer for everyone and that alternative methods can be more beneficial in the long run .

pepecat

pepecat

I'd agree with this as well, though I'm not sure why 'major depression' is in quotation marks like that.

Make it seem as if it's a sarastic dig. But perhaps I'm reading it wrong. (and yes, I realise the title of the actual article has it in quotation marks as well)

S

stuartiee

Hey sweetie sounds like a plan.. this amitriptyline is not helping me at all only feeling a little bit like my old self from 5pm onwards but from waking till then I am a suicidal wreck not good xx

N

notrealname

I thought this was well-known? For affective disorders (anxiety, depression, PDs etc.), I was under the impression that the consensus was 'drugs are a helping hand but therapy is the cure'. I think what's been more surprising to some is that disorders with a delusional component (schizophrenia, bipolar etc.) are also much improved by therapy.

Oh, now I've read it properly, I see it's about severe vs. minor depression. Not too surprising that those with major depression are more likely to see a larger benefit, either, really. They've got further to go, if that makes sense, so you would expect a more powerful effect. Those with minor depression probably don't have the same impetus to change because their life isn't being destroyed. Just a guess, anyway...

(Good study, by the institution I work at :p; but the rest of that website...hmmm....)

Last edited:
F

firemonkee57

They cautioned, however, that the magnitude of the interaction was small and may not be clinically significant

A co-author reported relationships with GAIA, a company that owns and developed one of the low-intensity interventions involved in the study.
So Cassani chooses to overstate things.

pepecat

pepecat

With major depression though, some things - like bibliotherapy or self-help books / websites - wouldn't really touch it initally, i don't think.
When i was really unwell, my concentration was shot and I couldn't read. I'd get to the end of the sentence having no idea what I'd just read. I just couldn't take it, let alone process, any information. By the time I could, the depression was 'moderate' not really classed as severe any more.

I guess people with severe depression do have further to come, but they have to get to a point where those alternative treatments can have an effect, or they can engage with them - would the depression still be called 'severe' by that point?

C

cherbear

I have severe depression and anxiety suffering from additional memory problems and my concentration is not great at the moment I'm finding reading beneficial even if I'm not in a place to act on things it's making me focus and I can recognise triggers and it's educating myself as to what the conditions are . In the long term there are things I will be able to implement I'm just gaining tools to aid my recovery as I have physical health problems to battle through too xxxx

ScaredCat

ScaredCat

Probably sounds stupid but i see this forum as a way of trying to help me concentrate better. I find writing and reading difficult. I didnt used to before i was ill. I find reading long posts very difficult and i find it difficult to formulate replies to threads. I am hoping that just using this forum i might improve these skills a bit

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I agree my concentration sucks, scarily when im driving I go off in my head into crazy thought then I suddenly snap back to the real world with the road ahead of me.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
So Cassani chooses to overstate things.
The messages on this forum and any links to external websites posted within the forum express the views of the respective authors. They do not necessarily represent the views of the administrators, moderators or any other forum member. Any advice posted here is for support purposes only. It is not intended as a substitute for advice by a qualified professional.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Before excessive drug treatments NIMH declared depression

Antidepressants/Depression
A. The Natural Course of Depression

Prior to the widespread use of antidepressants, the National Institute of Mental Health told the public that people regularly recovered from a depressive episode, and often never experienced a second episode. As the NIMH’s Jonathan Cole wrote in 1964: “Depression is, on the whole, one of the psychiatric conditions with the best prognosis for eventual recovery, with or without treatment.” Given this understanding of the natural course of depression, the NIMH’s experts believed that antidepressants might shorten the time to recovery, but they wouldn’t be able to boost long-term recovery rates. The reason, explained Dean Schuyler, head of the depression section at the NIMH, in 1974, was that most depressive episodes “will run their course and teminate with virtually complete recovery without specific intervention.”

B. The Chronicity Problem Appears

Once psychiatrists began treating their depressed patients with antidepressants, at least a few observed that these patients, once they got better and stopped taking the drugs, regularly became depressed again. While the drugs might help people over the short-term, they were putting them onto a more chronic long-term path.

Depression

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I was chronically depressed for years and years before I started on any kind of medication. Not that I think medication has solved anything for me. It hasn't.
Before excessive drug treatments NIMH declared depression

Antidepressants/Depression
A. The Natural Course of Depression

Prior to the widespread use of antidepressants, the National Institute of Mental Health told the public that people regularly recovered from a depressive episode, and often never experienced a second episode. As the NIMH’s Jonathan Cole wrote in 1964: “Depression is, on the whole, one of the psychiatric conditions with the best prognosis for eventual recovery, with or without treatment.” Given this understanding of the natural course of depression, the NIMH’s experts believed that antidepressants might shorten the time to recovery, but they wouldn’t be able to boost long-term recovery rates. The reason, explained Dean Schuyler, head of the depression section at the NIMH, in 1974, was that most depressive episodes “will run their course and teminate with virtually complete recovery without specific intervention.”

B. The Chronicity Problem Appears

Once psychiatrists began treating their depressed patients with antidepressants, at least a few observed that these patients, once they got better and stopped taking the drugs, regularly became depressed again. While the drugs might help people over the short-term, they were putting them onto a more chronic long-term path.

Depression

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I was chronically depressed for years and years before I started on any kind of medication. Not that I think medication has solved anything for me. It hasn't.
What approaches were used/provided to you in the years preceding being put on medication, & what approaches of healing did you personally try in those years?