• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Contradictory thoughts

Unknown Dude

Unknown Dude

Do contradictory thoughts have anything to do with mental health/condition or personality disorders?
Like: 1-Liking to stay and not wanting to stay alone.
And some stuff like that.

R

Rose19602

I'm not sure tbh Unknown Dude.
Could you be more specific perhaps?

I think we can all have contradictory thoughts at times....I know I do.
I've just taken my son back to uni for example and much as I wanted him to stay, it's also nice to have some alone time !!

xxx

D

Deliah

No, it's just what we call having different parts. Like part of mw wants to eat two bars of chocolate , not one because I think I will enjoy it, whilst part of me know from previous experience that it will make me feel sick. We all do this, it's how minds work, no worries. Our parts struggle some times when they want different things to each other. D x

*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi unknown dude, perfectly fine to have contradictory thoughts x

Unknown Dude

Unknown Dude

I meant by 'contradictory thoughts': I want to do something but in the same time I don't. I know it sounds weird

katya

katya

Have you ever read 1984? In it, the government try to control the populace by introducing a new language combined with a new way of thinking which they termed 'doublethink' - it was the ability to believe and truly know, for example, that the country had always been at war with one particular country, and then the next day believe and truly know that, in fact, they'd always been at war with another. It was so the government could change the past whenever they wanted and no-one would bat an eyelid.

It's an interesting idea. But I think what you're talking about is normal, i.e., wanting and not wanting to do something at the same time. I think this because I always feel a tug and pull with what's good for me now (e.g., a lovely cake) and what's good for me in the long run (e.g., not being overweight).

Maybe you're seeing the problem from different angles and you're not sure what to do?

Maybe it'd help if you tell us what you feel contradictory about. :)

Unknown Dude

Unknown Dude

Have you ever read 1984? In it, the government try to control the populace by introducing a new language combined with a new way of thinking which they termed 'doublethink' - it was the ability to believe and truly know, for example, that the country had always been at war with one particular country, and then the next day believe and truly know that, in fact, they'd always been at war with another. It was so the government could change the past whenever they wanted and no-one would bat an eyelid.

It's an interesting idea. But I think what you're talking about is normal, i.e., wanting and not wanting to do something at the same time. I think this because I always feel a tug and pull with what's good for me now (e.g., a lovely cake) and what's good for me in the long run (e.g., not being overweight).

Maybe you're seeing the problem from different angles and you're not sure what to do?

Maybe it'd help if you tell us what you feel contradictory about. :)
Well I feel this way towards 'nearly' everything which is annoying, distributing and confusing. Maybe you are right about seeing the problem from a different angle but I can't decide/tell if that's the problem or not. :/