• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Contamination fear- sulfuric acid at work

M

mat12

Hey everyone, I have issues with heath anxiety and OCD but my OCD makes it really hard to move on from a worry. I am especially anxious about chemicals but recently I have been super anxious because of sulfuric acid at my work. I didn't even work with it myself but I am near it and someone at work was showing me this drum that it was stored in and talking about how it is so strong that sometimes he gets holes in his clothes and that it is even corrosive to the floor. My imagination has been driving me crazy because I keep thinking that maybe he pumped some on the ground from the dispenser to show me how strong it was and that maybe a little splashed on me when I was standing near it. I don't even remember that happening and I doubt they would even do that. My imagination just keeps making it seem as though that might have happened and it is driving me crazy. I have been checking those clothes for holes and my skin for burns and the worries occupy way too much of my time. How do I move past this? Does anyone else have that problem where there imagination starts to create scenarios that could have happened and then have a hard time telling if it is even a real worry? Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Capt Hooke

Capt Hooke

Sulfuric is a very strong acid, and people have been working with it for a very long period of time(>100 years) and know if to be a very predicable substance, very stable. Your company is required by law to have prepared a written Risk Assessment for its use in your company, so people should be trained and provided with protective clothing. People using it are required by law to comply with the rules; employees can be fined for misuse as can the owners and so there should be absolutely no fooling with it. I've worked with it a lot and with much worse.

Under these circumstances, you should feel safe, but if you do not, I'm not sure what to suggest. It's quite a rare for someone to be so concerned about a chemical which they don't work with.

M

mat12

Sulfuric is a very strong acid, and people have been working with it for a very long period of time(>100 years) and know if to be a very predicable substance, very stable. Your company is required by law to have prepared a written Risk Assessment for its use in your company, so people should be trained and provided with protective clothing. People using it are required by law to comply with the rules; employees can be fined for misuse as can the owners and so there should be absolutely no fooling with it. I've worked with it a lot and with much worse.

Under these circumstances, you should feel safe, but if you do not, I'm not sure what to suggest. It's quite a rare for someone to be so concerned about a chemical which they don't work with.
Thanks for the response. That makes sense that they wouldn't be likely to pump some on the ground to show the strength of it as that would definitely be considered fooling around. I got pretty freaked out when he was talking about holes in his clothes and floor spills in the past that it made me more worried that they aren't careful with it. But an accident is quite different than purposefully putting some on the ground on purpose.

Capt Hooke

Capt Hooke

Whereabouts are you? In the UK, the Health and Safety laws are extremely tough, breaches being criminal offences (as opposed to civil) and may result in fines or imprisonment. Each business must keep a book and register any accidents, and serious accidents must be reported to the authorities, even if no one was hurt. Does your company have an employee who is designated as being responsible for health and safety?