Constant Worry & Fear

BadCow

BadCow

Been dealing with this condition for 40 years. It takes spells as to how often it strikes and how severe. I came here to talk with others that live with this awful condition. Compare notes, relate, exchange thoughts and ideas. Hoping I will wake up one day and IT'S GONE.

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

welcome yeah constant worry and fear.... i have had to keep life simple to reduce it

BadCow

BadCow

welcome yeah constant worry and fear.... i have had to keep life simple to reduce it
Now days my life is pretty simple. Retired 2 years ago and figured the anxiety issues would be less. I was wrong. Sometimes I think it's actually worse due to not having a job to keep my mind busy all day long. I don't miss the stress, but feel like maybe now I spend too much time alone. Hoping I can find someone here that likes to chat and talk about what's going on with them. Sharing experiences with others is a good way to vent. Thanks for your comments.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I don’t think it’s good to do nothing. It gives you too much time to ruminate. You need to do something with your days either volunteering or exercising to keep your brain and body active. I’m sure that because of volunteering it kept me out of hospital for 8 years

BadCow

BadCow

I don’t think it’s good to do nothing. It gives you too much time to ruminate. You need to do something with your days either volunteering or exercising to keep your brain and body active. I’m sure that because of volunteering it kept me out of hospital for 8 years
Sorry, I did not mean to mislead. I do not sit in the house all day watching TV. Since retirement I keep a pad beside my Laptop and make a list of things to do that week, and do them. I keep busy around the house, go fishing A LOT, and exercise. My exercise routines have dropped off some due to an old shoulder injury, but I still hit the weights. I know what you are saying and you are 100% correct. My thing is being alone so much. I have exercise equipment here at my home, but am now thinking of joining a gym just to get out and mingle more. It's hard to put my finger on exactly what causes my episodes, never have been able to pinpoint the triggers. But thank you for your comments.

F

Fancyharm

Hi and well done for expressing yourself. It's always a first step towards feeling better for me when I express myself, hopefully it will be for you too.

I understand what you mean about your situation. I think sometimes people link their symptoms to situations and I do the same. But in my experience it isn't like that. I have removed the situation before only to.find the symptoms still persist. What I did was to 're wire my mind with educating myself. I have read self help books, used positive affirmations and received counselling. Then I have used this education to combat the anxiety and taking on situations but gradually. I think what you have done is taken a step back, by not working, which is often necessary, but you haven't educated yourself and stepped forward with the education.

Perhaps now is the time to educate yourself, just buy a book from Amazon, find something that appeals to you and read it. The mind is self healing my counsellor says, and as soon as you start to help yourself you are healing. Then plan some situations that will help you to mix, like joining a gym or a part time job.

I really hope this advice helps, I know how you feel, I haven't a lot of contact with people other than work.

The forum is a good place to talk things through, we are helping each other by opening up.

T

Trekster33

Are there any support groups or charities in your US state or town? I mean for mental health.

BadCow

BadCow

Hi and well done for expressing yourself. It's always a first step towards feeling better for me when I express myself, hopefully it will be for you too.

I understand what you mean about your situation. I think sometimes people link their symptoms to situations and I do the same. But in my experience it isn't like that. I have removed the situation before only to.find the symptoms still persist. What I did was to 're wire my mind with educating myself. I have read self help books, used positive affirmations and received counselling. Then I have used this education to combat the anxiety and taking on situations but gradually. I think what you have done is taken a step back, by not working, which is often necessary, but you haven't educated yourself and stepped forward with the education.

Perhaps now is the time to educate yourself, just buy a book from Amazon, find something that appeals to you and read it. The mind is self healing my counsellor says, and as soon as you start to help yourself you are healing. Then plan some situations that will help you to mix, like joining a gym or a part time job.

I really hope this advice helps, I know how you feel, I haven't a lot of contact with people other than work.

The forum is a good place to talk things through, we are helping each other by opening up.
Thank you for your input. But first let me say that I don't feel that I have taken a step back by retiring from my job of 32 years. It was high stress, very demanding, in the publics eye, and driving all day long. It was time for me to leave. My problem is that I am now alone for so many hours during the day that it's starting to get to me. Even though I have a host of things to keep me busy, I'm doing it all by myself. That's why I mentioned joining a gym, so I could connect with others. It's like when I am preoccupied with something right in front of me, like a stack of weights, or preparing dinner, or installing wainscoting in my home, I am fine. It's when I don't have anything going on. You know what they say, "an idle mind is the devils workshop". Well in my case, the idle mind is anxiety's workshop. I will get through this period, I always do. I will definitely pickup some self help books.

Again, thank you so much for your comments.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I’m not sure what age you are as you say your retired. But like trekster says google charities in your area. I do volunteer work and we’re just setting up an over 50s friendship group that does quiz nights, walking football, lunch groups. And there might be some similar king of groups where you live and I think that kind of thing would be good for you.

F

Fancyharm

You are welcome to the support. Sorry I made the mistake about a step back stopping work, thank you for correcting me. XxxxX

BadCow

BadCow

I’m not sure what age you are as you say your retired. But like trekster says google charities in your area. I do volunteer work and we’re just setting up an over 50s friendship group that does quiz nights, walking football, lunch groups. And there might be some similar king of groups where you live and I think that kind of thing would be good for you.
Not interested in volunteer work. Rather get a job at the local gym or something to do with fitness or security. Thank you for your suggestions.

BadCow

BadCow

You are welcome to the support. Sorry I made the mistake about a step back stopping work, thank you for correcting me. XxxxX
You didn't make a mistake, you simply voiced your opinion. You are right, it happens to a lot of people when they retire from work. Your thoughts, suggestions, opinions and ideas are always welcome with me.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Introduce Yourself 2