• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Constant state of anxiety sore legs and back heartburn please help

T

Tiredanxious

I have been having extremely sore legs calves back and neck for the last week or so. I know I have anxiety but I’ve never had muscle symptoms in my legs be a problem. I’ve had neck pain and other things like back heartburn fast breathing nausea.

Has anyone else ever had the muscle pain that is very hard to get rid of due to anxiety in your legs and or calves or both. I appreciate anyone else that can relate to what I’m going through posting there experience. Like how long does this last for and will it go away eventually?

Sash1

Sash1

Hi..

Yes, I'm going through this right now. I have Health Anxieties and go through the same process each time these Anxieties hit, and they're pretty bad atm.

I've done the multiple doctor examinations, bloods/ urine tests(both clear)and have an ultra sound scan tomorrow..sick of it all tbh but it's part and parcel of HA.

This time though I've had excruciating back pains, and my legs!!!!!!!!. Aching, spasms, twinges, all over them. I've tried walking it off, pain killers, nothing is working. As I said, Anxieties, as my Psychologist has explained ,can actually cause severe physical pain..so then Anxieties get worse, so the pains get worse and unexplained.

Always better to get things checked, it's saves a lot of worry, stress and you need that peace of mind.

T

Tiredanxious

Thank you for replying. I to have had all kinds of pains before but the legs things was really bothering me. My understanding was the Latin acid your muscles build up being so tight takes time to dissipate which leads to having sore legs and calves especially if you are tense for a long while which I have been.

even though I know this can be the case the fact that my legs have never felt sore like this has sent my brain down a health anxiety path that is honestlycrazy and has me planning my own funeral.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I’m not sure but maybe with. The anxiety your tensing your muscles and that could be causing the pain. Have you tried mindfulness or yoga to relax yourself. You cant exactly do yoga when out but there are lots of mindfulness techniques which can be done when out in public and no one would know.

Sash1

Sash1

That's the cycle of HA..it really messes with your mind....

No matter how much reassurance you get that everything is(medically) fine, your mind says something was missed or the doctors got it wrong.

I know in my years of struggling with HA, every episode is the one that's going to kill me, so I have very deep dark thoughts. As you say Tiredanxious, I've never had this leg pain before so that's adding to my stress/anxiety. But also every time, the second I have that ultimate reassurance(usually from an ultrasound scan) the pain miraculously, starts to ease..my mind accepts the ' clean bill of health' and my depression etc starts to ease also..

( My brother just rang me in-between writing this post, asking how I was( worse thing you could ask a Hyperchondriac). I just let go telling him alll my aches and pains, and scans, blood tests etc, he is way more grounded than me, he said, "you've had tests, doctors, why are you thinking like that, you have to think positive".............I won't get angry at him for not 'feeding' my Anxieties, but I envy him and anyone else who can see health worries as just that)

B

Baker65

I have been having extremely sore legs calves back and neck for the last week or so. I know I have anxiety but I’ve never had muscle symptoms in my legs be a problem. I’ve had neck pain and other things like back heartburn fast breathing nausea.

Has anyone else ever had the muscle pain that is very hard to get rid of due to anxiety in your legs and or calves or both. I appreciate anyone else that can relate to what I’m going through posting there experience. Like how long does this last for and will it go away eventually?
Hello,
I have sore legs as well but with muscle cramps.Not sure if muscle cramps is an anxiety symptom

C

candycane

I read your post.
I am sorry you are struggling,right now.
I hope things get better for you.

L

Laudanum

I had numb, tingly, tight lower legs and calves for 9 months in 2019, caused by anxiety.

It's worse when you focus on it.

N

navhealth

I am having exact same thing but only on my left calf.. it has kicked off my HA bigtime..i was fine till now..now looks like back to square one.. kept help but think its a sign i will have a heart attack or something..my anxiety always attacks my left side!! The worst flipping side..
Not even sure it is an anxiety led tightness and weakness in my left calf or an actual muscle injury.

I dont see point even calling my GP as i know they will just brush it off and say have rest and see if it will go in 2 weeks.

It looks like my HA anxiety goes away..then comes back attacking a new body part to send me back down the rabbit hole. Never ending cycle.

Sash1

Sash1

I had my last GP appointment regarding my latest HA 'rabbit hole' this week........Mine always hits my lower stomach, but as you know, each time the HA hits, it gives you a little added bonus of an extra 'random' pain, just to add to the mix of conviction that this time it is a sign of something serious..

To be honest, she seems very well trained in MH, she went through every test I've gone through this past couple of months(bloods/urine/scans/physical examinations etc, and explained in detail what they do, look for and illiminate. She knows my other MH issues have taken a major hit too, as is the pattern of behaviour in my case.

This time, even with all the positive! outcome's it's taking a lot longer for my Anxieties etc to settle, I'm still in the "they've missed something, that doctor was very young, is she trained enough to know what to look for, did they give me the right tests, I can't ignore my aches and pains by just putting it down to HA, because what if this is THE ONE".......... because of blah, blah, blah........I hate my mind!!!!!!!!!!!!

I understand HA a lot better these days, but it doesn't always help, knowing your ENEMY..

N

navhealth

I had my last GP appointment regarding my latest HA 'rabbit hole' this week........Mine always hits my lower stomach, but as you know, each time the HA hits, it gives you a little added bonus of an extra 'random' pain, just to add to the mix of conviction that this time it is a sign of something serious..

To be honest, she seems very well trained in MH, she went through every test I've gone through this past couple of months(bloods/urine/scans/physical examinations etc, and explained in detail what they do, look for and illiminate. She knows my other MH issues have taken a major hit too, as is the pattern of behaviour in my case.

This time, even with all the positive! outcome's it's taking a lot longer for my Anxieties etc to settle, I'm still in the "they've missed something, that doctor was very young, is she trained enough to know what to look for, did they give me the right tests, I can't ignore my aches and pains by just putting it down to HA, because what if this is THE ONE".......... because of blah, blah, blah........I hate my mind!!!!!!!!!!!!

I understand HA a lot better these days, but it doesn't always help, knowing your ENEMY..
Its like we all are fighting the same battle.. i have the same mind set..i have been through cpt course too which was of no help to me.

It is just always constantly body checking and then thinking this is it. I really want to get my life back to the way it was