• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Conservatives and Benefit Reform

Y

yours truly

Hi,

Now we have a new Government in place, and after reading about the Tories radical "Welfare reform to Get Britain Working", I'm really starting to worry as to what drastic cuts and changes they are planning to make.

I haven't found much info as of yet, as to what changes are to be made, but I have this feeling of dread that genuine people claiming benefits are going to be amongst the first in the firing line.

Does anyone know what plans the Conservatives are making? Will they phase out ESA, income support and incapacity benefit and replace them with new benefits?

Many thanks

Last edited:
dib4uk

dib4uk

I have no idea, but ESA is meant to replace income support and incapacity benefit and i cant see how they the conlib will spend even more money on a new system whereby ESA is pretty new.... but maybe im wrong.

shaun3210

shaun3210

The Tories supported the welfare reforms that ESA is part off, so I don't think there will be many changes to it in the short term, the Lib Dem`s were the most outspoken about the reforms so hopefully with a few of them in the cabinet things might just stay as they are for a few years.

R

rasselas

they are tactically softening the blows... so they've imposed a 5% cut and freeze in MPs wages are are planning to stop child benefit for middle class and upper families.

there is no telling what they wil do next. try not to worry.

Y

yours truly

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

I find it hard to talk about my mental health problems and benefits without feeling like a second class citizen or a scrounger, so I appreciate the support. :)

I know Iain Duncan Smith is head of the Department of Work and Pensions, I just hope he's not another James Purnell! :scared:

I was reading part of the Tory manifesto, and it mentioned that those who are unable to work will continue to receive Incapacity Benefit, and those found capable of work would be transferred to JSA - there was no mention of ESA.

I wonder if they are phasing out ESA and introducing something else..?

If I find any more info, I'll update this thread.

Thanks and have a good weekend.

ooh if any of you guys hear anything else please let me know.

Last edited:
C

coraline1664

I thought Incapacity Benefit had been replaced by ESA in 2008... so I don't think they will phase out ESA.
All I know really is that of recent months the assessments potential claimants have to go through were said to be getting harder and harder to pass. I don't know what is going to happen in the future.
I understand your worries- I currently receive benefits also. I dislike it but at the moment it is my lifeline. Remember benefits are there for the geniune people so try not to feel bad about it.
I'll be keeping an eye out for more news on it too.

Liz

Y

yours truly

Hi,

I was reading an article in The Times and it appears the Tories want to reduce Disability Living Allowance and reduce Housing Benefit and possibly freeze the increase in benefits.

I hope this is not true.. :(

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article7117579.ece

Officials are also looking at cuts to disability living allowance, which costs £11.3 billion, as well as setting housing benefit, which costs more than £20 billion, at a much lower level.

C

coraline1664

Those are the two benefits I currently receive.
I am surprised that they would cut Disabilility Living Allowance... it's a long term benefit for disabled people! I wonder if that means reduce how much people are getting, or reassessing people and chucking some off. It's quite sick that the tories can take a stand on poor ill people being given the minimum amount of money to live on. They might say that they are only targeting the cheaters but it makes everyone on them anxious and we know that doesn't necessarily mean we won't be got at too.

Anyway, I won't jump to conclusions, I guess we just have to wait to see what happens. The times might just have it in there as wishful thinking anyway ;)

Y

yours truly

Hi coraline1664, yeah I'm hoping it's just speculation. But if the Tories do decide to cut DLA by say 20%, I pray Nick Clegg and the Libs in Office can do something to prevent it from happening.

Y

yours truly

Further reading:

http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/blogs/2010/05/13/what-future-for-claimants-under-coalition-rule/

Apparently, according to this article Iain Duncan Smith wants to abolish DLA altogether and all other benefits and create a Universal Credit scheme instead. He also proposes the medical tests for ESA are to be far more tougher to pass.

IDS wants to see a very much simpler benefits system involving a Universal Credit scheme with two components which would replace all current benefits. This would, however, involve doing away with disability living allowance and replacing it with a means-tested award. The two components would be:

Universal Work Credit – for those out of work and those on very low wages. This would combine jobseekers allowance, income support, incapacity benefit and employment and support allowance.

Universal Life Credit – which would cover ‘additional living expenses’ for those on low incomes. This would combine housing benefit, council tax benefit, disability living allowance, working tax credit and child tax credit.
What next?!, I suppose they might think we need food stamps instead of money! grr

M

maudikie

Maudikie.

My son has never hidden his condition, and I think it is much wiser, however difficult,to tell the of your diagnosis. The people who deal with Benefis know little if anything about mental illness. Phsical disability is obvious. You can register as disabled if you have a severe mental condition.
I'm afraid that life is going to be difficult for some time. Hopefully they will concentrate onthose on low income and disability of any sort, and take a bit more away from the wealthy. The minimum wage caused difficulties for those with M.I.and they were better in sheltered employent similar to that which was provided in the hospitals. Occupation but with no pressure.
I would suggest that if you have to go for an interview you take someone you trust with you, or get an advocate, though I am unsure of how they are obtained, or what knowledge they have of M.I.
I think that the Government and Civil Service should look at the claims papers as they are very long, complicated, and for some difficult. I would also suggest that you produce a medical certificate from either your G.P. or your Psychiatrist or a note from your C.P.N.
But we shall all have to wait and see.
The last lot got us into this mess and timed it right for themselves,and have left the new lot to sort it out. :mad:
The bosses were clever, and knew just when to resign!.

Y

yours truly

Further reading:

http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/blogs/2010/05/13/what-future-for-claimants-under-coalition-rule/

Apparently, according to this article Iain Duncan Smith wants to abolish DLA altogether and all other benefits and create a Universal Credit scheme instead. He also proposes the medical tests for ESA are to be far more tougher to pass.

What next?!, I suppose they might think we need food stamps instead of money! grr
edit: maybe I have looked into this subject too much.

I think DLA might be safe after all:

http://www.conservatives.com/policy/where_we_stand/women_and_equality.aspx

We will give disabled people more support to live independent lives. We will extend the use of individual budgets and direct payments to give disabled people greater control over their care and the funding spent on it. Conservatives have pledged to preserve Disability Living Allowance and Attendance Allowance as cash benefits

We will give disabled people more help to get back into work through our new Work Programme which will extend personalised support to people on Incapacity Benefits who are assessed as able to prepare for work, while ensuring that people who cannot work because of a disability or illness continue to receive unconditional support through the benefits system, and will never be forced to work.

dib4uk

dib4uk

Try and not to panic soo much untill we hear more about what will happen....i have a little bit of faith in the liberal side of the condem aliance so maybe it wont be so bad after all.... but we need to batten down the hatches and wait a little while.

regarding the child benefit if they tried to touch that how unpopular would they be, child working tax maybe, but not the universal child benefit.

and on a seperate but equal note= meh the sites changed lol. :innocent::clap:

dib4uk

dib4uk

And dont forget that they are now planning on having a medical for the DLA assessment instead of a paper application form for all new and exsisting applicants. God help us all.