• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

consequences of a bipolar dianosis?

M

mikeglasgow35

Suspect I may be bipolar, but worried ive just given it too much thought and taked myself into it.

Never been suicidal, but obsessive attention to detail, major lifestyle dictating mood swings, mega highs, invincibility, over confidence in abiities, feel that nothings impossible, irritable, intolerable, impatient, unsympathetic, task focussed, work focussed, problems sleeping, deliberate lack of sleep to pursue other requirements, thoughts racing, complete withdrawl from nagging needy parents.

Live with my partner of 12 Years with 6 year old daughter who I love dearly, but only see them 2 days a week due to work commitments

Thing is, I love my manic periods, and recognise thats what make me, me, and what is the core of my long sought after high achieving career.

Dont want meds to bring me down, or restrict my work capabilities, but dont want to risk shutting out my parter and daughter the same way I have my parents.

Trying to manage it as a workload/stress issue, but all advice leads to diagnosis and meds.

Anyone know of the consequences of obtaining a bipolar diagnosis and not taking meds, or having it on your record as having approached your doctor investigating the issue?

Ive got private medical though work, which entitles me to councilling/therapy for mental health issues, however worried about this getting onto my personnel record.

Thanks

Mike

T

Twylight

Hi Mike
Apart from your deliberate sleep pattern - do you eat regularly

M

mikeglasgow35

used to have a dreadful diet, but joined a gym in oct 09, and improved dramatialy. usually have a decent breakfast, a carb heavy lunch to see me through the day, and a light dinner in the evening. Gym ended up following same obsessive pattern of all or nothing. 3 hours a night, 4 nights a week

T

Twylight

That's good, i'm pleased your eating

As I understand it - there is two parts to Bipolar

Firstly there are mood swings - which can be controlled with stabilising Meds

Then there is a much more serious part which left unchecked can result in weeks of hospitalisation and tranquilisers - I'm pleased that from what you have written - this is not an issue - which is good

T

Twylight

I've known people with bipolar who just need to take mood stabilisers

But I've also known bipolars who need mood stabilisers and tranquilisers

Kos

Kos

Hi Mike

Hey :)

I've been diagnosed bipolar and I still hold down a full time job - taking daily medication allows me to do this.

I try to live as normal life I can, and on the whole, I'm no different to any of my friends.

See your doctor, there is nothing to be ashamed of or worried about, and being put on medication is not the end of the world, but the start of the rest of your life, and if you are diagnosed with bipolar and put on the correct meds it will improve your quality of life. I promise.

If you have any questions just drop me a line!

Good luck!:)

M

memyself and b

hi mike

i was diagnosed with bipolar rapid cycling in 2003 after been misdiagnosed with depression since 1996! I currently take citalopram as i have more depression than highs, was given carbermazapine in 2003 for stabilising my mood but it was horrific and made my zombie like BUT this dose not have the same affect on everyone. Bipolar consists of extreme highs and lows and in my case this happens anywhere between 2 and 10 times a day and night, soungd hopeless i know but i cope by diet,exercise,research,etc, usually a mood is triggered by something, you have to try to find out what that trigger is and then stop doing that thing, your family can help you, as i believe bipolar can affect everyone in your world, it dose me but thats not a bad thing if they are true people! hope this helps! pm me if you need anything:welcome: