• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Confused????

Lozzi_1004

Lozzi_1004

Apologies in advance for the apauling spelling misktakes as I'm slightly drunkled :D

OK, so I saw my pdoc on Friday and he's not sure whether I have bipolar or some sort of rapid cycling mood disorder!! In know icetsunami posted a similar thread but isn't that a sub-type of bipolar???

Has anyone ever had their mood swings said they could be down to stress too?

Sorry if this doesn't make any sense too :redface:

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
Lozzi I have mood swings and am diagnosed with depression not bi polar but there is bipolar in my family. Stress is definately a factor triggering changes in mood.I am beginning to think these things are all fairly closely related to each other.

Lozzi_1004

Lozzi_1004

thankies for the reply KP :hug: im surprised you managed to decipher that... it doesnt read well at all :redface:

hmm, that does make sense, i was just wondering why hed suddenly thought of this after diagnosing me as bipolar :unsure: its all thrown me back into limbo of not knowing again. id prefer to know i either have it or i dont (preferably dont!!). i know psychiatry isnt an exact science and theres no tests they can do but they really do drag it all out!!!!!!

thing is i cant say ive eve had stressful times either :confused: ahhh well just gotta go along with it all!

D

Dollit

To be diagnosed you have to fulfill certain criteria. If you don't show these then they will look for another explanation. Diagnosis of mental health problems is slow in a lot of cases because the patterns in the illness can be slow to show.

Mood swings can certainly be stressed induced and they can also be hormonal. When my thyroid takes a dip I have the worst highs possible.

Lozzi_1004

Lozzi_1004

Eek, bad highs!

When I first was referred to Insight they did all sorts of tests to see if my moods were being caused from physical problems and to see if I was pregnant (although how pregnancy could last years I don't know :rolleyes:) or to see if some hormones were higher etc. He's asked me to keep a mood diary until I next see him, to see if a patter emerges etc.

What's annoyed me more than most is that Dr M, who diagnosed me with bipolar has now left and I see Dr D and Dr G. It's Dr D who's not sure if the diagnosis is correct now... suppose it's good that he wants to thorough but it leaves me wondering all sorts quite like being dizzy and not knowing where you stand :confused: *sighs*
I'm actually sick of going through the same questions and my family history with them too *sighs*

M

mel 1

Hi Folkes

Two years ago i was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder and depression and Anxiety, they treated me with Mirtazapine 45mg and Diazepam. i wasn't told of my diagnosis, i only found out from a letter that was sent to my G.P. But as my depression has reared it't ugly head again, the psycs are now treating me with a drug used to treat bipolar and manic depression as well as the 45mg mirtazapine, the psyc docs love to use you as guinea pigs, they tell you to take these as they will help you feel better, it's not them having to pop the pills every day. Bipolar and manic depression was not something i wanted to hear but that's life, i have to try and deal with it, and as many of you have said with these diagnosis's you have high and low points, there is no in between.
mel 1

D

Dollit

Mel, out of all the people with a diagnosis of bipolar disorder (which is the same thing as manic depression, just a newer name) there are lots of them living stable lives. My swings these days aren't about mood because they're about dissociation. Put them to one side, they don't happen that often, and I have a stability that I didn't think was possible.

Medication is a hit and miss affair because everyone is different and everyone reacts differently to combinations. You don't have to take it if you don't want to.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Bipolar Forum 4