Confused, nervous...now what?

J

jentaylor728

I'm confused and a little scared and could use some advice.

I'm 48 and have always been forgetful. In the last year it's gotten worse. Strange things have been happening like:

** I'm folding laundry, I hold up a shirt to fold it and I go blank, I can't remember what it is, how to fold it.

** I'm telling someone how to spell the word " letter" and say L-E-T as in cat and they say "what?" and I repeat it "T as in cat"

** My toothbrush is grey, my husband'sis green. I get both toothbrushes out, run water on them and put toothpaste on them. Five minutes later, I can't remember which one is mine, so I wait for my husband to brush his teeth so I know which one is mine.

I've got many more examples...the scariest of which is:

Driving at 5am on an access road, felt like the car turned sidewise, everything went black, when I could see, I realized I was trying to negoiate a curve and I didn't know where I was.

My MRI was looked at by the radiologist and a neurologist. The only thing out of the ordinary was: A few subcortical T2 hyperintensities in both hemispheres-more on the right. Several flair punctate hyperintensities in the occipital lobes bilaterally unchanged from previous exam (2006)

Mild or early age-related microvascular ischemic changes mostly likely account for the few subcortical T2 hyperintensities observed.
-------------------------------------------------
My neurologist wants me to have neuropsycological testing done. He says that the MRI does not explain the things that are happening. "something is going on and we can't just attribute it to getter older"
-------------------------------------------------

I have a continual tremor..sometimes even in my head (I take lithium..probably a side effect). Had a 6 month experience of some kind of neuropathy in my left arm last year. Just recently developed numbness, tingling, and burning in my right hand and now it's in the left hand too. I have headaches most every day..some are very short. I'm also on a lot of medications.

----------------------------------------------------
I;ve been tested for B12, thyroid, Lymes. All negative.

I'm wondering if it's worth having the testing done? Does it have the potential to show anything else besides dementia?

Thank You.

D

deadflowers

My MRI was looked at by the radiologist and a neurologist. The only thing out of the ordinary was: A few subcortical T2 hyperintensities in both hemispheres-more on the right. Several flair punctate hyperintensities in the occipital lobes bilaterally unchanged from previous exam (2006)

Mild or early age-related microvascular ischemic changes mostly likely account for the few subcortical T2 hyperintensities observed.
Tbh that might as well have been french!!! I wish that I knew what to say hunny. I would have the tests done to find out whether it is dementia or not as I think that there are perhaps some meds they can give you (not sure) but either way, you could look up some things that might help you?

could it be related to your MH tho?? people with DID experience those things. xxx

Sorry I am not much help xxx

Kerome

Kerome

That's not fun! Prior to my own episode I had decreased functioning of my memory and concentration, I went to the doctors with it but they turned up nothing either. Six months later I had a psychotic break which lasted two months. But I was under a great deal of stress - just got made redundant, among other things. And they found some fungal infection markers in my bloodwork afterwards.

I realise that's maybe not great news, after all psychotic break or dementia, not exactly a fantastic choice, but at least it doesn't have to be dementia.

Hugs, hope you get better soon :hug1:

voyager

voyager

Hi, I'm 47, my concentration has been getting worse, especially recently, I've had a couple of blood tests and my thyroid is underractive. My memory has been terrible for years and I go blank for no reason at all, I used to put it down to anxiety, but it happens all the time now! I just switch off, this is worrying, perhaps it is some kind of coping mechanism? I don't know. One of my friends has such clarity when she is speaking, she can remember details about things , like what she had for tea last Tuesday, what she is doing later on and at what time...... ....... Sorry went blank! haha, perhaps it is medication that can affect us! She will be saying all kinds of things to me and I'm saying yes, but nothing is going in. I keep thinking that I'm getting early onset dementia! I really hope not!

I just thought that my story would show you that I have some of your symptoms! Take care xx

calypso

calypso

Admin
I wouldn't jump to dementia as a diagnosis by a large margin yet. I think you insist on more tests and ask for more investigations. You don't want them to do the mini memory test - its really unreliable. You need a proper psychologist investigate, who is properly trained in neurological outcomes.

A lot of people with dementia don't know they are forgetting things, but obviously, you can't rule it out. Make absolutely sure that all avenues are checked. The numbness and other symptoms aren't usually associated with dementia at all. It sounds to me like you have neurological symptoms and they haven't got to the bottom of it all. Being forgetful isn't the only part of dementia. Usually you have to have consistent short term memory loss in many areas.

You could ask if you have had mini strokes. I wish you all the best. I'm afraid the neurological descriptions aren't something I know much about - it wasn't my forte as a nurse.

But as others said, you could have medication side effects here - which might be the first port of call.