• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Confused and alone, help?

GregoryHouse

GregoryHouse

I was diagnosed with depression just over a year ago and have been on fluoxetine ever since.
However, over the past few months or so I have become aware that my mood is not just depressed, never has been.
Throughout the day I can go from being "hyper" to "down in the dumps" several times. Whilst being in either state, especially "hyper", I am often irrational, agressive and very argumentative. When I am depressed I am constantly tired and moody aswell as being agressive and argumentative.
When I have mentioned this to friends they have agreed with me and one friends even said that she had brought it up with her mother as a concern.
When I mention this to my parents they don't take me seriously and brush past the matter.

I could really use some help and understanding as I don't just think I have depression but that I might be suffering from Bipolar.
I start a new job in less than 2 weeks and I would really like to try and get a hold on this before then, or at least understand what I am dealing with.

Ruby Tuesday

Ruby Tuesday

Go and have another chat to your GP and ask for a referral to a pychiatrist. That would be the only way to know for sure. That is how I started off by taking prozac. I went to councelling and it was the councellor who referred me. That was how I got my diagnosis. Good luck :)

Lynnie B

Lynnie B

Yeh you need to go to your doctor and then he can refer you to a phyciatrist.

Also, you say over the last few months you have felt hyper etc.. This could be the fluoxetine makin you hyper. This is why you would need to see a pshyciatrist and would need to be monitored for a period of time before being diagnosed..

Hope this helps :grouphug:

GregoryHouse

GregoryHouse

Thanks

Thanks for your replies.

I have an appointment to see a doctor on monday where I hope to be refered.
I always thought that being Bipolar meant that you would have long periods of extreme highs and lows whereas my highs and lows are often within the period of a day.
I'm just confused about it all, could I be Bipolar or something else?
Argh, I'm so confused!

S

scorpio58

Thanks for your replies.

I have an appointment to see a doctor on monday where I hope to be refered.
I always thought that being Bipolar meant that you would have long periods of extreme highs and lows whereas my highs and lows are often within the period of a day.
I'm just confused about it all, could I be Bipolar or something else?
Argh, I'm so confused!
The key point I think is that everyone is different. There is Bipolar, traditionally called manic depression involving lows and extreme highs, ofetn over months. Bipolar 11 which usually involves extreme lows and lesser highs, sometimes referred to as hypomania. There are combinations of these such as rapid cycling, where the highs and lows alter more quickly than expected and mixed state where you can be depressed but still have a sort of high.

As others have said, it is only by being referred to a phsychiatrist that you will know if you have any of the above. It might be helpful if you started doing a 'mood diary'. Each day, try and record your mood by rating it 1 to 10, e.g. with 10 being very high. Note down anything in particular that happened that day or any thoughts that stick in your mind. Take it with you to your doctor and try to keep on doing it as it would be helpful when you are referred.

Above all else, remember that a label wont change your illness. It can help some people but to others it doesnt matter so long as they get help to get better. Try and relax and take each moment as it comes and best of luck.

Jane

GregoryHouse

GregoryHouse

Thanks

Thanks very much Jane, your comment about keeping a mood diary seems like a really good idea! I will definately try that.

Thanks

Q

quality factor

Hi, the best idea is to go to the doctor with an open mind and present the symtpoms as they are affecting you. There are many problems which can cause mood swings and not necessarily Bipolar. Your doctor may want to do various tests and could possibly pass you on to a counsellor or indeed a psychiatrist. As has already been said a diagnosis may be helpful to you, but individuals are treated in different ways according to the sympotms they present with. A mood diary is helpful to you and the doctor, for you, you may notice triggers which have caused a mood change.

Good luck,keep posting to tell us how you got on.

QF.

GregoryHouse

GregoryHouse

Thanks for all the support!

Thanks for all the support!

I didn't think I would get such a response, if a response at all.

I will keep you posted

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Bipolar Forum 23