• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Confused about GAD

bpdrosie

bpdrosie

I would like to know if anyone could give me any advice about generalized anxiety disorder,. And anxiety I doubt much difference. I have GAD it can be tough to deal with some people do not understand. What really is the difference ?

UnderR

UnderR

I'm not 100% sure, but GAD is a disorder while anxiety is just a emotion. A person who is feeling anxiety would usually just feel fear / uneasiness in response to a stressful event, and the feeling would go away after a while. A person who has GAD feels constant (and sometimes intense) anxiety for long periods of time and would probably process their thoughts differently compared to a person who doesn't have GAD. I'm in no way an expert on this and I could be wrong, but I'm more or less just paraphrasing what my therapist told me.

bpdrosie

bpdrosie

Thanks for replying. It sounds about right

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

I feel like...that feeling you get when you're waiting to hear potentially very bad, life altering news, like life or death news...and you have to wait for this news, so you're forced to go through the motions of your life and try to deal with it...and sometimes you just can't do it anymore, and you end up becoming dysfunctional, withdrawing from activities, unable to enjoy anything, unable to focus, unable to eat or sleep...and just trying to escape in any way possible. That's GAD.

Then, you receive news that all is well and suddenly you are overcome with relief, gratitude and happiness! Your appetite bounces back, you feel free to enjoy things and like a huge weight or fog has lifted! All is well!

Except...for people with GAD (in my experience anyway)...that above paragraph never happens. There is no relief. There is no freedom from the fear. And sometimes there is no first paragraph either, but the feelings included in it are the same, even if there's no specific definite reason for them.