• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Confused about BPD????

starflower

starflower

:confused::confused: Hi, just wanted to ask someone if they can help me understand Borderline Personality Disorder better. I've had depression and anxiety for nearly 18yrs, and last year was told that I had BPD aswell. My phyciatrist says that when I well enough (I go up and down like a yoyo!!), he'll put me on the list for DBT. Has anyone had this therapy and does it help you cope with life any better, than before? I be glad of any help or information anyone can give me.

M

mad as a hatter

there is loads off info about bpd on the internet and also dbt 2 just google it i was mean,t 2 do dbt but didn,t feel it was the right time for me 2 so i left but u can only try it when u get offered it

starflower

starflower

Yes i've read lots of stuff on the internet, about bpd and dbt, but was looking for more of maybe a bit of personal insight into it. Although I know everybodies experiences, will vary, I just thought it might help me little.:)

starflower

starflower

Thanks Sapphire77 for the link. It's good to hear that DBT can be so helpful. I just hope when I see my phyciatrist this month that I can convince him that I am ready for it, as there is a large waiting list in the area in which I live. The first time he mentioned it the waiting list was 12 months long!!! He said that he put me on the list when I was ready, but as I say to both my support worker and cpn, when is ready. It's been a long road, and maybe this will help me to eventually finally get to the end of it or see how much further I have to go. thanks again :) :)

S

*Sapphire*

That's okay Gizmondo. I think when they say 'when you are ready' they usually mean when you are in a place to be able to absorb the information and practice the skills. There is an element in DBT where they describe willingness and wilfulness, if you are not willing to try and are wilful in continuing behaviours and not practicing the skills then it is not likely to work.

It sounds harsh but from my understanding they want to make sure that the people attending are willing to give the skills a chance. I guess not all things work for all people, but personally I found it life changing. Although I accept that several years ago I wasn't in the right place and it probably wouldn't have worked for me. Most people in my group have improved dramatically since the treatment and it is such a pleasure to hear how well they are doing and to share stories of how life has changed for us all. :)

Last edited:
A

Affective

Boderline Personality Disorder

Hi,
I am just curious on what this disorder is. Does it include Psychosis, mood swings, anxiety, depression etc?

M

mad as a hatter

it can include some them symtoms u describe

dib4uk

dib4uk

Hi,
I am just curious on what this disorder is. Does it include Psychosis, mood swings, anxiety, depression etc?
Yes it does and it has more than that- its hard for me to explain exactly what a personality disorder is but its something that is a permenant state of mind and body, it is something that a person carries around with them, and it can incorporate depression, psychosis and mood swings. As far as I can gather it can be hard for the psych to explain to the person what it really is and what it means for that person.

For me its a continously ongoing problems with low self esteem, depression, anxiety and I have issues with my personal identiy, and that is centre to being diganosed as having a personality disorder i believe- but please correct me if I'm wrong on that account. Being diagnosed with a personality disorder is including issues around suicidal attempts and self harming issues...although that in itself does not mean a person has a personality disorder, and for some people with a personality disorder might not have issues regarding self harming or sucidial thoughts and actions....

Hope that has helped.

D

DizzieDiva

How to get diagnosed.

I have suffered with Clinical Depression for as long as i can remember roughly 14 years. I have seen many Doctors and have not found them to be of any help as yet. They prescribe me fluoxetine of which keeps me above water, but i still find it difficult to establish my identity and who i am. I feel like i wear a mask most of the time. I cant maintain my goals when i dont know who i am. To put it in a nutshell my life has been chaos and a living hell.

I completed a councelling course of which i found a complete waste of my time, after seeing a Psychiatrist i was diagnosed with clinical depression...

I feel happy, but most of the time i feel sad and hopeless, all i want is to feel normal.:confused:

starflower

starflower

Same here!!

Hi DizzieDiva, I feel just like you, just want to be normal !!! :confused:

M

madsheep

For me... BPD is a struggle. Its very much a personal thing. I mean yeah there are certain things that characterise the disorder, but each person can have a possible or 5 or more out of 9 things, and they vary in intensity. It is a hard thing to explain.
The feeling of emptiness. The impulses regarding my eating habbits and dangerous driving. The Self Harming and Suicidal thoughts. The constant mood swings, one hour being cheerful, the next being so down in the dumps that I can barely move. The extreme views of people, like my best friend. One day I will love her to pieces, think she is the best thing in the world for me. The next, for the tiniest reason I will hate her. Really hate her. And then it will suddenly change again and I will love her to bits. The intense feelings of anger and rage that are so hard to get a handle on that sometimes I have to punch a cushion for a while just so I dont take it out on anyone around me. The fear of being abandoned. To the point where when my fiance leaves the room, I feel that I am going to be alone forever and there is noone who can help....

These are just what Borderline is for me. Its a state of mind. Its a physical feeling. It goes really deep.

As for anything that helps... well I have tried medication and have almost given up hope in meds as nothing seems to work, everything I try just seems to make me worse or ill. And I have not yet had any therapy. I was diagnosed in July and put on some waiting lists. But I moved in December and have only just been handed over to a loval Community Mental Health Team for my area this week, so nothing is going to happen for a while.

The only thing that has really helped me is finding someone that you can be completely and bluntly truthful with. Someone who you can just be yourself around and who wont hold it against you if your mood suddenly changes into a horrid one.

Sorry this has been a bit of a long post. I am just having a bit of a hard time at the moment and occasionally I will read a question that sparks something and I just have to write until its out of my system. I hope some of what I have said has helped, and that you may be able to relate to at least some of it. If not then just ignore me. O and feel free to PM me if you want to talk about anything I have written.

Madsheep:)