• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Concerned for her

R

rosarosierose

Hello all, I'm knew to the forums.

5 years ago I lost my brother to suicide, so you'll forgive me if I'm a little anxious about how im feeling about my cousins current frame of mind.

My cousin's father is diagnosed schizophrenic. He made life quite difficult for my cousin (27-year-old female) most of her teenage years, making public spectacles, breaking the law etc. His behaviour caused a lot of embarrassment and bullying at school for my cousin.

I feel that there is a definite genetic component to mental illness and it runs in my family.

Ever since my cousin was 18 she has exhibited very extreme personalities. She is unable to hold any job, complete her studies, have long lasting relationships.

She also repeatedly has herself admitted to hospital despite the doctors never having been able to find a cause for her complaints - most recently she has complained of random blackouts. She has been admitted to hospital 60 times in 5 years.

These blackouts have increased recently to the extent she was admitted to hospital five times in three weeks. No one is ever with her when she Faints yet she always has cuts to her arms from falling and bruises on her face - to me, it is almost like a form of Self harm.

She sleeps upwards on 18 hours some days.

She has been admitted to hospital with the same complaint tonight - making six times in three weeks. If the doctors are unable to find anything physically wrong with her as I suspect they will not (all tests clear last time), the only thing that is left to explore is the possibility of mental illness and/or an anxiety disorder of some type.

I am worried about her since my brothers depression also had a psycho somatic element that no one picked up on.

Please help, how do I approach the issue of her mental health with her? I know she will get hostile and shut me down if I try to talk about this with her. She maintains her problems are purely physical.

Last edited:
R

rosarosierose

Thank you autumnsprinkles ... I look forward to learning from the other forum members who post here! X