• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Concerned about voices

R

Rider52

I noticed when I hear voices it's right around the time I fall asleep. I was told this is hypnagogic hallucinations. My concern is that I'm awake, but trying to get to sleep when I hear them. I'm not sure if that's hypnagogic or when you're already falling asleep?

L

Lab rat

Do you have voices at any other time of day, when you’re wide awake?

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

What are the voices like? Are they hostile, friendly? Are they talking sense or gibberish?

L

Lab rat

Do you get any other hallucinations along with it e.g. images, smells, tastes, tactile sensations?

R

Rider52

I don't hear anything wide awake, just before I go to sleep. I sometimes get closed eye images and rarely tactile just before falling asleep. Sometimes the voices are muffled, or sounds. It's never the same voice either. The tones go up and down too. But sometimes it's enough to disrupt falling asleep.

L

Lab rat

I don't hear anything wide awake, just before I go to sleep. I sometimes get closed eye images and rarely tactile just before falling asleep. Sometimes the voices are muffled, or sounds. It's never the same voice either. The tones go up and down too. But sometimes it's enough to disrupt falling asleep.
There’s a good chance this will clear up on its own (from what I read on the nhs site) usually it’s a stress reaction, and you may not be consciously aware of what’s stressing you, but it’s there in your subconscious.

how long has it been happening?

that’s just the result of a google search. If you feel you need to, go see a doctor, a professional that knows what they’re talking about.

R

Rider52

There’s a good chance this will clear up on its own (from what I read on the nhs site) usually it’s a stress reaction, and you may not be consciously aware of what’s stressing you, but it’s there in your subconscious.

how long has it been happening?

that’s just the result of a google search. If you feel you need to, go see a doctor, a professional that knows what they’re talking about.
When I went for a mental health assessment they felt it was stress like you said. They referred me to counseling, but I don't have insurance. It has been going on for several months. I feel better at times and then I have some bad days again.

A

Am33

Before I go to sleep I say out loud I want protection around from anything negative .