• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Concentration

jax

jax

I Have had very little concentration since I started my medications 4 years ago. I have had another two added this past admission. I Haven/'t read a book in 4 years. I haven't read a newspaper or magazine article. I cannot even watch TV sometimes.

I have lived with this for 4 years and Pdoc keeps saying it is because I am to high. I got discharged from hospital on Monday. I am anything but high. In fact I am slowed down too much. Yes, still I cannot concentrate.

Anyone have the same problem? Any solutions?

thing fish

thing fish

i have the same problems....i tend to drift away and shift from thought to thought.
i have not found a solution....hang in there

T

twin keck

concentration

i lost my concentration for about 3 years. it does come back! i used to pick up a book once in a while to see if it was there. then one day it was back. i dont think its the meds i think it is linked to depression.
keep on trying(y)

S

suzy

After I had my high it was awful. I could not sit still, I had to move around, couldn't focus on things..

I am better now, but I find I don't watch TV. I just get bored of it and don't really care. Do you feel like that? And movies too unless it is really gripping like an action film or something deep and meaningful to get into. I have just lost the enjoyment of watching TV and would love to get back into it. I used to never miss an episode of CSI and things. That was when I was getting better and would watch a lot of TV as I was stuck at home with nothing to do. It is wierd how things have changed again and I have just lost interest. Maybe it is because i am so busy with uni. I do find it hard to concentrate on my uni work sometimes, get distracted by the internet which is exactly what I am doing on here right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Must point out I am not going on a low nor a high)

arrrgh

guggy

guggy

It is a well known fact that bipolar disorder affects verbal memory and concentration. When I was first manic, my family brought a book for me to spend time at the hospital. I could not read it for weeks.

J

jamesdean

I have no concentration at all ever n never have had for years I have tried to read but every time that I have tried i get confused usually within a paragrapth, I struggle to read a long post here its only occasionally I will grasp it.At the most I usually will n watch a little of sky news n occasionally catch a little bit of eastenders. JD

S

suzy

I'm finding it really hard with my uni work at the moment, I just seem to look at it and not be able to focus. Listing all the things I have to do in my head for the deadline and not actually getting on with it and finding it hard to make decisions on what to do

jax

jax

I feel for you Suzy - doing university work. I just wouldn't be able to do that at all now. I studied when I was first sick - thinking about tying to attempt that now - there is no way.

My concentration/memory problems are definitely not down to my being depressed. I rarely get depressed.

Hope these problems go away soon.
Jacqui

guggy

guggy

I've also started university work once again. I was lucky to finish my studies before my first psychotic outbreak and I am not sure if I am going to be able to pull it off, which makes me feel a bit uncorfotable, but I think it is better to be bold rather than shy away from it.

topsyturvy

topsyturvy

I have terrible problems concentrating. I've found that I have to do at least 2 things at once, or I get distracted. For instance, watch a movie and read a book at the same time. I used to love watching subtitled foreign language films but now I just can't concentrate on them for more than 5 minutes. I used to read everything, and now I can barely get passed the first paragraph without getting distracted, even when it's a subject I'm interested in. I thought the meds might help, but you saying that they make it worse for you Jax, makes me think otherwise.

I'm currently trying to study for my Psychology degree, and it's a nightmare!

E

edmonmom

when I read I find a quiet time with no other distractions. Once you learn to focus in on something, things will get better. I obssessed over books and essays in college but my grades were great. Take time to ( in the quiet) to focus on just one thing).

T

*true-smile*

i believe that the lack of concentration can be very in youe head i think when you try and force concentration like reading a book or watching a hole tv program makes it more unlikely for it to happen because your already expecting to be unable to concentrate. set your aims lower and dont put to much pressure on your self to do 1 thing, let your mind and body adjust gradually and see if you have any more luck. x

T

triple x

concetration huh

ive had this prbelem even before i was diagosed and i solved it mostly part from when i am either at thend ends of the scale. if u find a book or tv programme u enjoy u might be more inclined to concentrate more