• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

concentration issues? (not to do with mental health)

P

Pffft

Hello... well i have always struggling with concentration. For every "good" day I have (what i mean by that is, i can do a few hours of study and actually learn sometihng- although it requires a lot of effort as i am dyslexic and the comprehension is hard and i have to re read things about 3 times to understand it) but then i have atleast a bad day (usually 2) where i will read something a few times and i wont understand it and when i get to the bottom of the page i have forgotten what i have just read.

When it comes to lectures I usually switch off and find myself thinking.. shit! i have missed 5 minutes of what has been said and depending how boring the session is i can feel myself switching off after just 15 minutes- which is frustrating to say the least! In seminars its not too bad because we are doing activities throughout the powerpoint or w.e it is we are doing.

I do have depression but it has improved so much that i know it isn't that, which is causing these issues. Also, the concentration thing has been present throughout my teens

keepsafe

keepsafe

Are you having other thoughts? Is your mind racing, makes it difficult to concentrate with all the other stuff going through ones mind if that is the case?

xxxxxx

P

Pffft

trying to think and to be honest i cant remember. Sometimes they are life events or issues that i am going through but then other times it can literally be anything.
xxxxxx

Gajolene

Gajolene

I get the same, especially now with the mh problems, I find it's a lot worse if I'm under a lot of internal or external anxiety stress. I think cigarette smoking and maybe past substance abuse issues have played a part in this as well. Give yourself lots of breaks while studying and maybe try some relaxation exercises before studying, it may help.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I can relate to the lack of concentration.
For me, that's what I hate about being depressed more than the low mood itself - the fact that I suddenly turn into a complete dunce. :doh:

I'm wondering if it possible to record your lectures?
Or possibly ask the lecturer for a copy of their notes/slideshow/whatever.

I've found it helpful to get a e-mailed copy of a power point presentation, so that I can revisit it at a later date.

It might also be that your learning style is different, you know. Not everybody absorbs information the same way. Being talked at and not having any interactive element to learning doesn't really work well with me.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
My concentration is terrible, its like i go off into a seperate train of thought in my head instead of focusing on what's in front me. My memory is appauling also, possibly the lack of concentration, possibly substance abuse. It makes me sad I try think back over stuff with my son and I can't remember much and hes only six :/

P

Pffft

Thanks everyone for you comments. I have got a dictaphone SS but sometimes i do forget to take it, so when i don't and i zone out it is a concern. I have looked online and seen the signs and symptoms of adult ADHD and tbh i match the majority of them which freaks me out. I agree with gajolene about the stress... you make a good point although.. i am constantly stressed lol. its interesting to see a couple of people have this issue after substance abuse but I haven't had any substance addictions/abuse so i know it cant be that :\
I cant imagine it will be a side affect of the fluoxetine that i take? as i have been on this for aboout a year and a half.. possible 2 years!
xx