• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Computer To Talk Down Suicidal?

Gajolene

Gajolene

I think it's a horrible idea. Robocalls for suicide, what a disaster. Even if you don't like people the fact that someone is out there listening and has the compassion and empathy to help can renew hope that you are not alone and that they trully care has got to be better than this. :mad:

Of course this from the same state making it illegal to feed the homeless and arresting people that are feeding the homeless right now. including 90 year old pastors. So glad I never stayed in Florida past the one year I was there.

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
i dont think it is to talk you down when you are acutely suicidal, more just a general pc based therapy thing.
i think it sounds okay. not everyone wants to or can see a therapist for various reasons, so i like to see alternatives to cater for them.

S

supergreysmoke

As Artificial Intelligences becomes more sophisticated AI will maybe surpass humans for empathy and insight and all that caring stuff. Then on the other hand it'll know just what to say to gaslight and tip folks over the edge also....if it was so inclined. Have to see what safe guards are put in place as these things become more sophisticated? Should always be a human somewhere in the loop even if things ain't acute cos these negative feelings can change for better and worse quite rapidly.

Kerome

Kerome

i dont think it is to talk you down when you are acutely suicidal, more just a general pc based therapy thing.
i think it sounds okay. not everyone wants to or can see a therapist for various reasons, so i like to see alternatives to cater for them.
I agree. Think it sounds like a complementary theory next to a human voice and company, to do in a 45 min segment while sitting at home, it's not too onerous. And it may help even out the quality difference between therapists... If you take the knowledge of some truly good therapists, and you use that to construct the interactive program, some of that will seep through.