• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Compulsive eating

Powerslave

Powerslave

Hi, I hope I'm not re-hashing any old threads here.
I was just wondering if anyone here has problems with compulsive eating.

I have had a problem with it for many years and although I got things pretty well under control and got my weight down to a sensible level (I need to lose a bit more to be at my ideal BMI) I have recently found that I am slipping back to my old ways again and I want to stop this ED in it's tracks. I thought if anyone is having similar problems maybe we could help each other out and keep each other on the straight and narrow.

I hope this post doesn't break any rules. xx

C

coraline1664

-

Hi
I started compulsively eating when I was a young child. At my worst point I had very strong urges to eat pure sugar such as syrup from the tin and my mum once caught me spooning caster sugar from a bag, took me up to my room and poured it over my head, then ordered me to clean it up. My mum would always about how she liked 'little and light' foods and how crisps and sweets were the food of the devil and that I was greedy and disgusting to have more than a tiny little piece of anything slightly unhealthy. She had her own problems with eating.
As soon as I moved out in my late teens these problems almost disappeared. I was with someone who wasn't petty about food, we would cook big healthy meals and all the crisps and junk food started to seem quite unappealing. I still eat junk sometimes and much more when I am having a bad day and have very little energy.

I would say healthy filling meals that you enjoy and don't feel like a chore to eat is a good plan. If you have days where you feel down and every thing seems to require so much effort then maybe you could cook meals in bigger portions and freeze half so you don't resort to takeaways and so on.
Hobbies always help to distract, I don't know if you eat from boredom but I have done that a lot. Also only buying food for meals and a few things for healthy snacks is good as you don't have it sitting around in the house. Now I still would eat a whole big pack of biscuits in a day or two if I bought them so I tend not to.

Obviously I don't know your eating patterns and what makes your complusive eating worse, this was just from my personal experience. I hope at least part of it is of some help.

Liz

Last edited:
B

Buddha

Hi, I hope I'm not re-hashing any old threads here.
I was just wondering if anyone here has problems with compulsive eating.

I have had a problem with it for many years and although I got things pretty well under control and got my weight down to a sensible level (I need to lose a bit more to be at my ideal BMI) I have recently found that I am slipping back to my old ways again and I want to stop this ED in it's tracks. I thought if anyone is having similar problems maybe we could help each other out and keep each other on the straight and narrow.

I hope this post doesn't break any rules. xx
Few things I know that can help are:

Meditation:

http://www.adyashanti.org

NLP:

http://www.nlpacademy.co.uk

Neurofeedback:

http://www.eeginfo.org
http://www.neurofeedback-scotland.com

Each one of the above is means to 'cure' the compulsions - through a very different way of looking at them. Personally, I am not too keen on the 'power of will power'. In fact - trying to keep yourself on the straight and narrow is a form of self-violence...I think.

Powerslave

Powerslave

Thank you for your replies. I am having a really crappy time at the moment so I'm not going to be around for a couple of days but I do appreciate you taking time to help. xx