Compulsive behaviour without negative impact.

L

LaRain

I have a compulsion to be 'on the left', when walking with someone, sitting next to someone and particularly in cars. If I'm not on the left I feel very uncomfortable and can only think about how I want to correct this. It isn't connected to obsessive thoughts, for example I don't believe anything terrible will happen, but I feel very unsettled until it's resolved.

I normally just tell people and say that I know it's silly but it's just my quirk and I'm not embarrassed about it any more. My CBT self help book for anxiety talks about OCD and says compulsive behaviours should be challenged and so I guess I could learn to tolerate the anxiety associated with not being on the left. But this compulsive behaviour doesn't really negatively impact my life, so is it still important to challenge it? For example, it isn't really time consuming, just a very strong preference.

I also often imagine spelling words or phrases on computer keyboards or phonepads and sometimes feel a need to repeat it quite a lot. I don't really know how to stop doing that? Any ideas?

As a child I experienced a lot more compulsions, such as needing to feel my feet had stepped an equal amount, which was a feeling rather than mathematical. And having to touch parts of my face equally and symmetrically, which I still feel compelled to do when I or other people talk about OCD (like right now!).

Thanks for any advice.

keepsafe

keepsafe

My CBT self help book for anxiety talks about OCD and says compulsive behaviours should be challenged and so I guess I could learn to tolerate the anxiety associated with not being on the left. But this compulsive behaviour doesn't really negatively impact my life, so is it still important to challenge it"

Thats exactly what you should do - try not to practice these behaviours and feel how you feel when not doing them, it might not be hassle to you to always be on the left, but I don;t think its something we all have, the other traits also can be challenged. I know its easier said than done but I think you already know how to start to try and conquer these patterns of behaviour.

Take care
KS

L

LaRain

Thanks for your response, keepsafe. I guess I do know that's what I should do, I just don't like the idea of it! I guess I will try, but maybe I'll wait until I'm less stressed (unemployed, somewhat homeless).

keepsafe

keepsafe

Yes maybe wait until you are less stressed......... TAke it easy if you can

KS
((hug))