Compliments

A

Ana

Hi!
I hope everyone’s doing great!
I was wondering if any of you has a hard time accepting compliments.
When I receive a compliment I don’t react, sometimes I just smile at the person and sometimes I thank them, however,I don’t believe them,especially if it’s something that I’m not 100% confident of.
This might sound pathetic but sometimes I feel like I receive compliments as pity even though in my head I realise people don’t do that. I mean people don’t compliment you because they pity you.But again people are nice and maybe they compliment others because they know it will make someone’s day, so it’s not necessarily truthful compliment.
What’s your thought regarding compliments?

Flameheart (was BPDevil)

Flameheart (was BPDevil)

i hardly ever receive compliments so no i dont have this problem

O

OCDguy

This is a very interesting thread :) Sometimes I find receiving compliments a little awkward, other times not so. Some people give others' false compliments, if this is the case there will be a pattern of them doing it to others too, and regularly ;) Possibly for some it's a way of buying friends, and no doubt false too, and if this is the case you have to ask yourself, can you trust this person? Getting back on topic, compliments can go a long way to make your day, especially when they come from a trusted and valued source :)

sadpunchingbag

sadpunchingbag

if i get complimented it makes my skin crawl one of the few things I can't stand

O

OCDguy

You'll probably find a lot of people feel the same way, it's not uncommon :)

A

Ana

I like getting compliments, it feeds my ego (as bad as it sounds, it’s actually true).
But I hardly ever trust the source, because again I feel like it’s out of pity or people have lower expectations of you so they become impressed by anything you exhibit.

Lunus

Lunus

Hi!
I hope everyone’s doing great!
I was wondering if any of you has a hard time accepting compliments.
When I receive a compliment I don’t react, sometimes I just smile at the person and sometimes I thank them, however,I don’t believe them,especially if it’s something that I’m not 100% confident of.
This might sound pathetic but sometimes I feel like I receive compliments as pity even though in my head I realise people don’t do that. I mean people don’t compliment you because they pity you.But again people are nice and maybe they compliment others because they know it will make someone’s day, so it’s not necessarily truthful compliment.
What’s your thought regarding compliments?
Throughout my career I think I’ve always sought praise and compliments, I suppose as confirmation I’m doing a good job. Unfortunately you rarely get it no matter how good your work is so no matter how much money I’ve earned I’ve always left companies early as I’ve never thought they valued me enough.
I don’t look for anything now. I’ve taken the attitude of f*ck them at work and if I get a compliment from say anyone in my family I just think they are being patronising.

L

Lockpon

I guess I just don't really believe it, when it happens. I am sure I am a bad person so either they're unaware what I'm really like or they're just being polite/nice.