• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Compelling New Model for the Understanding and Treatment of Psychosis

E

ettiene.dyer

Root post removed by author do to numerous complaints and editing by the moderators.

I am sorry I wasted your time I will not do it again. Please continue with your treatment. Always consult with your psychiatrist prior to changing your drug regiment.

Last edited:
Mark_01

Mark_01

Some of us are born this way and psychotic breaks are just occasional vacations from our usual psychosis. Just took my pills, they help me sleep and get through the day with only moderate psychosis. The idea of change at this time in my life terrifies me, it took a long time to be stable; and most of the time I feel my stability is just hanging on by a very thin thread. I wonder if I read the book and took his advice, would Dr. Williams be responsible if I became homeless again?

deadchick07

deadchick07

I am coming to terms with why posts like these actually piss me off. My issue, I own it.

I think the reason they piss me off is because there is the underlying unspoken suggestion that is if you believe in or willingly participate in the medical model, or stress vulnerability model, you are a sheep, and none too intelligent. There is an elitism associated with posts like this that I dislike. It's almost like someone trying to convert me to religion, and I dont like the invasion into my own belief system. Just as we are not allowed on forums to diagnose someone, or suggest they stop taking their medication without advice, maybe there should be some sort of disclaimer we could expect to accompany non conventional pieces?

deadchick07

deadchick07

infact there is, it's in the guidelines not to proselytise.

BlueGlass

BlueGlass

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I would suggest writing your thoughts about this on a thread in the feedback and suggests part of the forum not on someone's actual thread.

deadchick07

deadchick07

is that to everyone or just me?

deadchick07

deadchick07

not mark, not CPU? both made comments that either challenged or were off topic.

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
The first thing that is notable about this book is the author. He is a fully recovered schizophrenic, that not only recovered but went on to optain a doctorate in Psychology and is now a practicing psychologist in the San Francisco Bay Area.
That's very nice for him and congratulations and all. I understand the point of these books is to give people hope. However it never feels inspiring to me in a "They did it - you can do it too!" manner - just serves to remind me of how inadequate I am in comparison - as if being in awe of normals and all they can do isn't enough.

Others may of course take inspiration from it.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
That's very nice for him and congratulations and all.
For various & quite probably many reasons, statistically (of those diagnosed with psychosis/schizophrenia) a third fully recover, they have one main episodes & go on to be stable the rest of their lives. A third have a repeating pattern of breakdowns/episodes of psychosis, with periods of recovery in between. & a third become very unwell & stay unwell their whole lives. There are variations within all that as well, it is a generalisation. There are some fundamental & serious questions that arise from this statistic.

deadchick07

deadchick07

I read somewhere one in eight people experience a period of psychosis then never go on to have life long issues (wish I could remember where!) so maybe the people who write things like this are right and have found a great cure, or maybe some or all of them simply had a one off? Who knows? Maybe there should be a proper study of it?

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
so maybe the people who write things like this are right and have found a great cure, or maybe some or all of them simply had a one off? Who knows? Maybe there should be a proper study of it?
i'm inclined to agree that there does need to be proper investigations into it all.

My view is that there are 2 primary things happening. That each case is individual, complex, & involves many factors, & great spectrum. & that people also vary greatly in their overall circumstances, & levels of understanding, help & support, that they receive.

deadchick07

deadchick07

Im not a complete devotee of conventional medicine, I knew a man once who was literally dying on traditional medicine and he was very unwell mentally, he then tried homeopathy and is now cured of psychosis (but still struggles with negative symptoms), so it is different strokes for different folks, I just wish there wasnt this underlying suggestion that if you dont believe the alternatives you are a fool. But then again, I remember the story of the emperors new clothes...