Community Treatment Orders

T

Truthometer

Do you find community treatment orders to be a violation of your human and civil rights? I was once forced to take injectable neuroleptics even though I was perfectly healthy and did not need any psychopharmacological intervention, that is, after being discharged from the hospital. I stayed there for over a month, though I was find after 2 weeks.

What do you think about these forced drugging? Should it be legal? How can we resist these discriminatory policies against people labeled with a mental condition? What can we do about them? I live in Canada, btw.

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Do you find community treatment orders to be a violation of your human and civil rights? I was once forced to take injectable neuroleptics even though I was perfectly healthy and did not need any psychopharmacological intervention, that is, after being discharged from the hospital. I stayed there for over a month, though I was find after 2 weeks.

What do you think about these forced drugging? Should it be legal? How can we resist these discriminatory policies against people labeled with a mental condition? What can we do about them? I live in Canada, btw.
On a cultural level there is probably Not a lot that can be done about it all. The majority of people & the system doesn't see it all as a problem.

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
As much as i disagree with Scientology & disagree with Szasz & a lot of the way CCHR view mental illness, they are probably doing a lot to combat things -

Citizens Commission on Human Rights - Mental Health Watchdog

http://www.cchr.org/

Disability Human Rights i don't think is taken entirely seriously & Not properly applied. The UK is scrapping the European Human Rights Act.

UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities | Equality and Human Rights Commission

Mental health and the Human Rights Act | Society | The Guardian

The Human Rights Act and mental health legislation | The British Journal of Psychiatry

T

Truthometer

On a cultural level there is probably Not a lot that can be done about it all. The majority of people & the system doesn't see it all as a problem.
But clearly a lot of patients aren't happy with it. What can patients who have been labeled with a condition by the mental health system do to gain more rights in determining their treatment? There must be something we can do about it legally. I have been on a CTO, I am fortunately not on one now, but who knows what will happen in the future, if I get hospitalized again they may consider writing another CTO. Can I simply refuse to consent to the CTO and not follow it? These medications are a form of torture to some patients. Trust me I have first person experience with them. No one should be forced to take these mind numbing, brain damaging, life-destroying drugs, because some shrink labeled you with some psychiatric term.

Last edited:
T

Truthometer

As much as i disagree with Scientology & disagree with Szasz & a lot of the way CCHR view mental illness, they are probably doing a lot to combat things -

Citizens Commission on Human Rights - Mental Health Watchdog

Citizens Commission on Human Rights, CCHR - Nonprofit Mental Health Watchdog

Disability Human Rights i don't think is taken entirely seriously & Not properly applied. The UK is scrapping the European Human Rights Act.

UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities | Equality and Human Rights Commission

Mental health and the Human Rights Act | Society | The Guardian

The Human Rights Act and mental health legislation | The British Journal of Psychiatry
I have read Szasz. He is an erudite critic is shrinkology. I highly recommend his books.

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
But clearly a lot of patients aren't happy with it. What can patients who have been labeled with a condition by the mental health system do to gain more rights in determining their treatment? There must be something we can do about it legally. I have been on a CTO, I am fortunately not on one now, but who knows what will happen in the future, if I get hospitalized again they may consider writing another CTO. Can I simply refuse to consent to the CTO and not follow it? These medications are a form of torture to some patients. Trust me I have first person experience with them. No one should be forced to take these mind numbing, brain damaging, life-destroying drugs, because some shrink labeled you with some psychiatric term.
Bigger picture i totally disagree with almost the entire system, the larger socio-economic/political/religious system & also almost the entire psychiatric/mental health system.

How do 'we' change it all? As one person i'm Not sure what i can really do about it all? When push comes to shove how many people genuinely want it all to be fundamentally changed? i'm Not sure that a majority do. In chatting with a lot of people, the majority acquiesce to it all, they defend it all, for some 90% of people (imo) to varying degrees & in various ways the system is their reality, they can't see outside of it all.

How many people are totally unhappy with it all? i do agree with what you have written & it's very much like that for some people, & for a lot of others it isn't, this is part of the problem.

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Shock, Lies… and a Duvet -

Shock, Lies... and a Duvet - Mad In America

“I am going to make an official complaint,” says the mother.

“You are welcome to do that,” says the psychiatrist, and you can almost hear the laughter—for they know, as others do, that the psychiatric laws trump both the country's own laws and that of human rights.

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
psychiatric laws trump both the country's own laws and that of human rights.
In essence unchanged in some 300 years.

i'm all ears as to how the entire system can be fundamentally changed & transformed to something genuinely humane, healthy, healing, caring, helpful & supportive?

i didn't create the system, have Never really agreed with Nor supported it all.

What do you suggest?

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
imo & reading of things it's very well established that CTO's don't work & worsen outcomes. It's well established that anti-psychotic medications worsen overall outcomes in the majority of cases over the longer term. It's well established that the chemical imbalance theories are largely incorrect. It's well established that for the vast majority of people anti-depressants don't work & worsen illness. It's very well established that comprehensive psychological/social approaches are highly effective for the majority of people. It doesn't make any difference what the actual facts & truth is, this World/Society/System/majority of humanity isn't dealing in truth, quite the opposite in fact.

T

Truthometer

imo & reading of things it's very well established that CTO's don't work & worsen outcomes. It's well established that anti-psychotic medications worsen overall outcomes in the majority of cases over the longer term. It's well established that the chemical imbalance theories are largely incorrect. It's well established that for the vast majority of people anti-depressants don't work & worsen illness. It's very well established that comprehensive psychological/social approaches are highly effective for the majority of people. It doesn't make any difference what the actual facts & truth is, this World/Society/System/majority of humanity isn't dealing in truth, quite the opposite in fact.
Psychiatrists are hell bent on prescribing neuroleptics indefinitely with no end in sight, and they think this is proper practice. These neuroleptics have been demonstrated beyond a shadow of a doubt to cause brain damage. Even the head of the American Psychiatric Association, Nancy Andreasen, acknowledges this in one of her studies. It should not be legal to force people to take these brain damaging, mind numbing, life-destroying drugs that only treat symptoms (when people have them). I have been prescribed tablets of Abilify. I think my psychiatrist is so far off in left field that I think it is pointless to try to argue with him (for the millionth time) about why I don't need neuroleptics. Do you suggest that I simply lie to him and tell him that I am taking them so he doesn't consider that I don't take the drugs 'when needed'? These psychiatrists clearly have the bias of pharmaceutical companies that advertise their drugs in the most positive light and not a mention of brain shrinkage.

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Psychiatrists are hell bent on prescribing neuroleptics indefinitely with no end in sight, and they think this is proper practice. These neuroleptics have been demonstrated beyond a shadow of a doubt to cause brain damage. Even the head of the American Psychiatric Association, Nancy Andreasen, acknowledges this in one of her studies. It should not be legal to force people to take these brain damaging, mind numbing, life-destroying drugs that only treat symptoms (when people have them). I have been prescribed tablets of Abilify. I think my psychiatrist is so far off in left field that I think it is pointless to try to argue with him (for the millionth time) about why I don't need neuroleptics. Do you suggest that I simply lie to him and tell him that I am taking them so he doesn't consider that I don't take the drugs 'when needed'? These psychiatrists clearly have the bias of pharmaceutical companies that advertise their drugs in the most positive light and not a mention of brain shrinkage.
i don't know what to suggest? i think it's dealing with highly complex, in depth & individual areas.

i went through a lot of very severe psychotic illness. i have come to an acceptance of the schizophrenia diagnosis & need for a low dose of one neuroleptic medication.

i do feel that i could have been far better originally responded to & supported, but the social/cultural & medical realities are what they are. The past is the past. If i stop the medication, however i try it, i go into severe near catatonic psychosis. i don't think it works to deny the very real realities of mental illness. i think that there is a case for a wise use of medication for some people. My argument is & always has been that there should be far more comprehensive psychological/social understandings & approaches used, but they're largely Not & i can't see that significantly changing any time soon. We 'have' to navigate things within the realities of how everything currently is. i can't do it 'alone' i have tried, & things have been & are more of a matter of survival than any idealogical argument that i have with biomedical psychiatry.

i think that people have to try & find their own way through it all.

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

Why were you in hospital if you were perfectly healthy?

:(

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i don't like certain things when they're applied to me but pragmatically i can see a need for them with some people given the world is the way it is and given the behaviour i've witnessed of some off med people

T

Truthometer

I have been on my CTO for since the end of September this year. I have been taking Abilify maintaina injections for 6 months already, and my treatment order says I have got three more months to go.
My current psychiatrist who is supervising my treatment order is planning on renewing my CTO after it expires. My CTO expires at the end of March. Until then I am challenging my CTO in the court of Queens Bench of Alberta (civil court). My court case will be in January. I hope I win so that my CTO is cancelled in January rather than in March.

N

nightmare57

I have been on a CTO continuously 2013. On injections.