• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Community Mental Health Teams

T

twinklingstar

Hi there, was just wondering who has had experiences with their CMHT and how it went, if they were helpful and if the CPN can prescribe medication, are they councellors etc, any advice/experiences would be much appreciated :) x

D

donna

community mental health teams.

hi,i'm new to this sort of thing.never posted before so hope i'm doing it right.i started experiencing panic attacks in November last year.never had one before.thought i was dying or at least-cracking up.went into primary care who gave me a few diazepam and sent me home.in a taxi -i might add.i still didn't have a clue what the heck i was experiencing.went to the doctors about 4 times over the next couple of weeks.all prescribed drugs, antidepressants,betablockers,etc.THEN i got a letter about seeing a CMHW after about 5 weeks of hell.i got the impression that i was being read to out of a text book.in fact i was telling her more about what i had found off the internet to help me deal with my experiences than she was able to tell me.it seemed that she had just graduated and didn't really have any life experience about the condition so my experience of these health professionals hasn't really been a great one.i am now in a constant state on fanxiety which i believe to be generalised anxiety.i have diagnosed myself as i still haven't been given a proper diagnosis.hopefully you might get a more experienced mental health worker.
:scared:

S

Sooz

I have mainly received very positive support from CMHT. I had one CPN who was really no help at all. Where I live, once you have had contact with them, they try to allocate you to the same person.... this happened in my case excpet where she was on maternity leave. As far as I know, they do not generally prescribe medication but can be helpful in monitoring how nedication is going: dosages, side effects, benefits etc.
I hit a really bad spell earlier this year due to a severe reaction to medication and my CPN was brilliant. She came out to see me twice a day for about five days.
I found it helpful to have her around for CPA meetings and to liasise with other workers. So, I guess this will nt be the case for everyone, but it worked for me.

Good luck.

S

bluenomore

bluenomore

I have only good things to say about my local CMHT. They have been very supportive over the last couple of years.

M

mad as a hatter

wish i could say the same about mine they r terrible i,ve not got a pdoc ne more even tho i,ve got bipolor and borderline they simply don,t care at all

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 1