Community mental health team

N

Nicola1991

What does the CMHT do and how long does it take to be referred?

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
You will be given an psychiatrist and CPN ( community psychiatric nurse) and will have access to other therapies.
It depends on how urgent your case is as to how long you'll have to wait.
Some services are better than others.
Take care

N

Nicola1991

Hi,
You will be given an psychiatrist and CPN ( community psychiatric nurse) and will have access to other therapies.
It depends on how urgent your case is as to how long you'll have to wait.
Some services are better than others.
Take care
Does referral have to be made through a GP?

pepecat

pepecat

Yeah, a referral has to come from a gp.

Initally you have a meeting with a psychiatrist - usually about 40 mins to an hour (though mine took about 1 1/2 hours). You can take someone with you if you like. They go into all sorts of things - family history, how you're affected by what's going on, how long it's been going on, do you have suicidal thoughts - all sorts of stuff.

Then they'll decide what happens next - you might have a med change, or be referred for therapy, or given a CPN. It depends really. You don't always get a CPN - I never did.

They'll write to you and your gp with a diagnosis and what's going to happen next.

write

write

hello Nicola, I remember your previous post about difficulties getting support, I hope you can find what you need.
I really don't think anyone can give a definitive answer to your questions. Services are so stretched and vary so much between areas as to how they work, what they offer, timescales.
Where I am you used to get assessed by psychiatrist initially and then they would decide if and who you would see from the CMHT. Now, the team members do the assessing, so you may be assessed by a nurse, OT, or a social worker who will then feedback to the team and they discuss the next steps. Ime it takes a while to get a diagnosis and these can change over time and also can be dependent on who you see...
There is a wait to be seen here but as said previously it does depend on how urgent the referral/your situation is, so could be a week's wait or a few months.
Hope your GP will support you x