• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

coming to terms that i hear voices

B

BottleOpener

hiiiiiiiii i'm new to hearing voices.

i posted earlier this month about neighbors inducing me with voice hearing. although i still strongly believe that neighbor torment was real and caused these voices (makes coping a whole lot better lolololol) , it is possible that these started on their own.

i was bullied a lot by my older siblings as a child, and i am a light narcissist w anxieties about constant judgement/watching from other, so maybe i was bound to hear voices eventually.

they are very mean. i can't make mistakes, cook, shower, use da fucken toilet, or be unsanitary in any way (i wash my hands so much more often now) without them mocking and laughing at me. they change volume depending on my anxiety level, and they will sometimes sound as crystal clear as a human being in the same room as me.

i hear them daily, but not constant throughout the day. they crop up randomly, and i kept waiting for a day that i would not hear them at all. maybe that's still possible, but i don't see that happening any time soon.

i just want to thank the internet and everyone here for the existence of this forum. i am very grateful, truly, that you all exist to help me feel not so alone in all this. i have learned more about myself and this "issue" by reading a bunch of forum posts as a bystander. you have all helped me so so much when these voices tore me apart at my lowest point.

thank you.

how do you all live day to day with these voices? i would appreciate some advice.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I survive day to day by ignoring my voice, I haven't said a word to 'him' for just over four years and I show no emotion to anything he says or does. Also copious amounts of anti-psychotics helped reduce the volume of my voice by around 90-95% so that makes it much easier.

But regardless of how much medication I take he still keeps waffling on, begging for attention, whining about being on medication and about being ignored, ranting about how unfair all this is to him, generally sticking his nose into my business and the singing, oh god the singing!!

He started in late February 2016 for a few weeks then went silent when I was admitted to a ward for acute mental disorders, he remained silent for about three months but started up again in July 2016 and he hasn't stopped since.

Avolitionist

Avolitionist

If you haven’t already, you may consider medication. Sometimes it works. It works for me, and makes life so much easier.

Before medication I listened to the voices intently for over a year. I would try to placate them thinking that if I succeeded they would stop tormenting me. I went long periods without doing normal things like showering or toileting. I once went for 30 plus hours without going to the restroom thinking it would somehow stop them.

They don’t stop in my experience. It wasn’t until I ended up in inpatient and started medication that they lessened and then months later finally stopped tormenting me.

I’m not saying medication is the only option for dealing with voices, but that’s how I deal with mine.

B

BottleOpener

I survive day to day by ignoring my voice, I haven't said a word to 'him' for just over four years and I show no emotion to anything he says or does. Also copious amounts of anti-psychotics helped reduce the volume of my voice by around 90-95% so that makes it much easier.

But regardless of how much medication I take he still keeps waffling on, begging for attention, whining about being on medication and about being ignored, ranting about how unfair all this is to him, generally sticking his nose into my business and the singing, oh god the singing!!

He started in late February 2016 for a few weeks then went silent when I was admitted to a ward for acute mental disorders, he remained silent for about three months but started up again in July 2016 and he hasn't stopped since.
Oh i try very hard to ignore them and i try to not entertain them. they find it hilarious when i struggle to do tasks or try to shake them out. they subside the more unbothered i seem, i think they get bored of me after a while, but they do come back.

have you ever tried singing a different song while he sings his own?

B

BottleOpener

If you haven’t already, you may consider medication. Sometimes it works. It works for me, and makes life so much easier.

Before medication I listened to the voices intently for over a year. I would try to placate them thinking that if I succeeded they would stop tormenting me. I went long periods without doing normal things like showering or toileting. I once went for 30 plus hours without going to the restroom thinking it would somehow stop them.

They don’t stop in my experience. It wasn’t until I ended up in inpatient and started medication that they lessened and then months later finally stopped tormenting me.

I’m not saying medication is the only option for dealing with voices, but that’s how I deal with mine.
i haven't considered medication because i'm starting a drug free route. i concluded (along w someone i trust) that weed and alcohol have been affecting something in my brain, so i'm going to stay sober for hopefully a year. if voices continue, then i'll seek medical attention.

one night when the voices were bad, i tried to locate them around my apartment, and i ended up crawling along the floor, a sobbing mess, begging them to leave me alone. when i went to bed and woke up the next morning, they talked to me the entire day of the "performance" i put on for them. such assholes.

very very happy to hear that your voices are subsided, gives me a lot of hope

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
have you ever tried singing a different song while he sings his own?
No, I haven't tried that, to me that would be a reaction.

Since he's monopolizing my headspace I haven't had a thought of my own for as long as I've been ignoring him, it irritates him greatly so I wouldn't want to sing in my mind or out loud to try and stop him.

I just let him carry on and add each offense to my very very long list of grudges that I hold against him. I'll make him pay up one day.

B

BottleOpener

No, I haven't tried that, to me that would be a reaction.

Since he's monopolizing my headspace I haven't had a thought of my own for as long as I've been ignoring him, it irritates him greatly so I wouldn't want to sing in my mind or out loud to try and stop him.

I just let him carry on and add each offense to my very very long list of grudges that I hold against him. I'll make him pay up one day.
oh wow, i can't imagine what it's like to not have your own headspace. i do hope you get to meet him someday, and please show him no mercy

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I meet him every time I look in the mirror.

I believe he's a physical part of me and we're two minds occupying the one body.

I picked my avatar very carefully, it's the Roman god Janus who is the god of duality.

I also believe each and every person on the planet has one of these 'passenger' minds sharing their body with them.

B

BottleOpener

I meet him every time I look in the mirror.

I believe he's a physical part of me and we're two minds occupying the one body.

I picked my avatar very carefully, it's the Roman god Janus who is the god of duality.

I also believe each and every person on the planet has one of these 'passenger' minds sharing their body with them.
i love this a lot, will be writing this down and reflecting on it next time i hear them. thank you

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
As far as making my voice pay I do that every day by taking my meds.

My voice has shown me he has many abilities that make up for him being a passenger in my body. Abilities that are all taken away with the use of medication so let this be a lesson to yours.

He showed me he can read the minds of 'our kind', he read the mind of a family member and told me what she was thinking four times in a row when I did a test with him, I asked her to think of a shape and my voice gave me the answer. This went a long way to convince my family that I wasn't (completely?) crazy lol.

He says this works with his own kind, they can apparently talk to each other using brainwaves that we can't perceive, he says my families voices were extremely mad at him for showing himself to me and messing with me. He also told me he's not been able to make any friends in his whole life so that played a big part in him revealing himself to me, it's just a pity he decided to annoy me instead of being my friend.

I believe another ability is to be able to leave the body, spiritualists call this astral projection. My voice demonstrated this to me by telling me what a friend would be wearing before I was due to visit her later that day. If I'm to believe all the stories of our kind doing astral projection it would suggest they can take our minds with them on their travels if they can learn how.

There's more but I wouldn't want to teach your voice bad habits if he hasn't learned them already, but the three I've mentioned are the main ones that my voice complains about losing thanks to the anti-psychotics. So my advice to your voice is to behave and avoid going on these drugs at all costs.

Am I a crackpot or ahead of my time? I'll let history decide.

EdEd

EdEd

As far as making my voice pay I do that every day by taking my meds.

My voice has shown me he has many abilities that make up for him being a passenger in my body. Abilities that are all taken away with the use of medication so let this be a lesson to yours.

He showed me he can read the minds of 'our kind', he read the mind of a family member and told me what she was thinking four times in a row when I did a test with him, I asked her to think of a shape and my voice gave me the answer. This went a long way to convince my family that I wasn't (completely?) crazy lol.

He says this works with his own kind, they can apparently talk to each other using brainwaves that we can't perceive, he says my families voices were extremely mad at him for showing himself to me and messing with me. He also told me he's not been able to make any friends in his whole life so that played a big part in him revealing himself to me, it's just a pity he decided to annoy me instead of being my friend.

I believe another ability is to be able to leave the body, spiritualists call this astral projection. My voice demonstrated this to me by telling me what a friend would be wearing before I was due to visit her later that day. If I'm to believe all the stories of our kind doing astral projection it would suggest they can take our minds with them on their travels if they can learn how.

There's more but I wouldn't want to teach your voice bad habits if he hasn't learned them already, but the three I've mentioned are the main ones that my voice complains about losing thanks to the anti-psychotics. So my advice to your voice is to behave and avoid going on these drugs at all costs.

Am I a crackpot or ahead of my time? I'll let history decide.
Everytime I read that the voices loose a lot of their abilities thanks to anti-psychotics it is very comforting.. just saying. Thanks.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Hearing Voices Forum 4
N Hearing Voices Forum 3