• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

coming out...

worrymuffin

worrymuffin

Why is coming out or disclosing mental illness more difficult that actually coming out as gay???
I came out as a lesbian when i was 16, I'm comfortable with who i am, everyone knows that i have a wife, i talk about her just like the other women taln about their husands... hat is not my issue
Its so much more difficult disclosing mental health problems, thats MY business. I hate that i have to disclose such things to my boss, especially as Ive only been in my current job for just over a month. [I've worked there for over a year, but only as agency staff], and i have a 6 month probation period.
I've been struggling generally and my depression has gotten worse... I've been self harm free for over 2 years but these last few weeks the intense feelings are back.
I decided yesterday after my shift to tell my boss that I'm struggling. She was pretty supportive but did say that if i have any time off it could impact my probation review, which could lead to my dismissal at the end of it.
She also assured me of confidentiality. .. but im not sure i trust her..... i just dont want to be gossipped about at work

nonotme

nonotme

I guess cause or terms like "nutters, loonies" etc, still really freaks people out.

btw I'm out to nearly everyone I know.

C

Christobel

I guess cause or terms like "nutters, loonies" etc, still really freaks people out.

btw I'm out to nearly everyone I know.
Is that out as gay or out as a 'nutter'? :)

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nikita said:
I don't tell anyone who doesn't need to know.It is my business not anyone else's!
So people get told on a need to know basis.If they don't need to know then I am not going to volunteer the information.Nikitax
It's nothing to be ashamed of. i feel i'm doing my bit to educate people & reduce stigma/discrimination by being open & honest about it all.

G

Gredge23

I'm the same as Nikita it's on a need to know basis , and it's definitely I think in today's society it's more acceptable to be gay the "loonie bin"

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I wouldnt say I'm ashamed as such as I always tell employers now as in recent years it has been frequently disrupting my ability to work but I dont go round announcing my personal business to the world.

C

Christobel

To my friends who have mental illness themselves I say I have schizoaffective disorder; to everyone else, including my family I say I have major depression (I don't mention the psychotic features).

catkin

catkin

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Maybe it depends more on individual experiences rather than if coming out gay or with mh issues? Personally I've found it very hard with both. No one knows my diagnosis beyond mh people, but those I see, family, past work colleagues etc, see how I am. I told employers, ive needed reasonable adjustments and as I couldn't go to work and did some mad things while at work, hard to hide.
Coming out as gay has been harder for me.

Last edited: