Coming off seroquel

F

FFS2017

Hi, I have bipolar 2 and have been struggling with that for the last 20 years.

I have been married twice (once to my childhood sweetheart and once to a narcissistic abuser). I don't have any contact with my family of origin because they were abusive, and I find it very difficult to make friends because that means - for me as an introverted empath - being authentic about who I am. I have some strong friendships, but I often feel alone.

I am struggling now because all I do day after day is worry. I have two kids with varying educational and emotional needs and I am struggling to get a job. I had a great job but left it voluntarily because it was too stressful. Coming to terms with my bipolar has meant being aware of what works and what doesn't for me.

Now I am experiencing real problems with my seroquel - which has been the only medication that allows me to sleep and stops the brain whirring. The seroquel knocks me out and makes me feel drunk. It also gives me restless legs and I found recently that it has been reducing my iron count so I am now massively anaemic.

I am stopping the seroquel and working back into an exercise regime, slowly, and trying to get rid of the mood stabiliser weight.

But I am having a horrible time because I am now not sleeping AT ALL. The GP doesn't help because won't give out sleeping tablets for more than a few days at a time - fair enough I know I need an alternative. But I have had DECADES now - since I was a little kid - of having night time distress and depression. Some days I feel suicidal (actually I have always felt suicidal, every single day of my life, but wouldn't act on it because I have kids). No alternative therapies work for my insomnia.

I am lonely, sleep-deprived and working really, really hard to keep on an even path. But without any family support, few friends, no money and a brain that keeps on whirring it's really, really tough.

I've just found this forum and wanted to reach out and say
1) hi. and
2) anybody advise on the insomnia thing (it's not a question of seeing my psychiatrist; I have been down that route through private and state based care and seroquel was the end of a lot of drug tweaking. It's all they will give me). I do see a therapist every week - another stress because I have to pay privately - and it's thanks to her I'm alive!
3) do any of you feel you will never be normal and life is kind of a trial? However much i have moments of gratitude and i am so so grateful for all i have - i just feel too broken to have a loving, supportive relationship ever again.

Thanks

A

arwilliams

I am having a similar problem with Zyprexa. I have been on it for 4 years and now can't sleep without it.

Zyprexa probably knocks you out more the seroquel so I can't really recommend either.

Doctors should more sparingly prescribe Zyprexa and seroquel,