• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Coming off risperidone?

D

dragonboy46

Hey,

I've been on Risp (Risperidone) 2mg for more than a year now. I was prescribed for bipolar disorder & now I don't have any symptoms of bipolar anymore. I don't want to be on this drug for the rest of my life, in fact, I want to get off it as soon as possible. Can I just stop taking it cold turkey? I mean it's just 2mg.. No?

My doctor probably won't let me stop or maybe he put me on 1mg. Please suggest what I should do. I also have fear of my illness coming back after stopping & I don't want to get sick again or lose my mind.

Jam1990

Jam1990

No matter what you do, you should absolutely consult with your doctor first. If it were me, I would have the dosage decreased first and wait to see how you react. If things look good after a while, decrease it some more. Either way, do it under the supervision of your doctor.

D

dragonboy46

No matter what you do, you should absolutely consult with your doctor first. If it were me, I would have the dosage decreased first and wait to see how you react. If things look good after a while, decrease it some more. Either way, do it under the supervision of your doctor.
Thanks for the advice... What if the doctor refuse to get me off?

Jam1990

Jam1990

Thanks for the advice... What if the doctor refuse to get me off?
You are ultimately in charge of the decision of what you put in your body. Just tell him you want to eventually be off of it and if he refuses to help you with that, find a new doctor who will listen to you.