• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Coming off quetiapine successfully

I

I love you

Has anyone come off quetiapine successfully?
My partner is on 100mg xl and will be reducing again in 17days time to 50mg xl for 28days then coming off. This is all under supervision from early prevention team.

K

keith74

My wife is typically put on quetiapine when in a mood swing. She was put on 300mg quetiapine when she slipped into a deep depressive episode back in February. She has been stable for several months now so her pdoc has started to taper down the dose by 50mg every month or so. She is currently on 250mg and the plan is to revisit every month and if she is still good, lower by another 50mg. It is actually a slower taper than last time (in 2016 from 300mg to 0mg) when she went down 50mg each week. This last episode was especially intense so I think her pdoc is taking it slower this time. In any case, she has never had any issues with withdrawl, etc. Of course she is on her usual mood stabilizer (valporate) the whole time.

I

I love you

My wife is typically put on quetiapine when in a mood swing. She was put on 300mg quetiapine when she slipped into a deep depressive episode back in February. She has been stable for several months now so her pdoc has started to taper down the dose by 50mg every month or so. She is currently on 250mg and the plan is to revisit every month and if she is still good, lower by another 50mg. It is actually a slower taper than last time (in 2016 from 300mg to 0mg) when she went down 50mg each week. This last episode was especially intense so I think her pdoc is taking it slower this time. In any case, she has never had any issues with withdrawl, etc. Of course she is on her usual mood stabilizer (valporate) the whole time.
My partner was diagnosed with bipolar with manic episodes. He has been on 300mg since June and was being reduced 50mg every 6 ish weeks. He hasn’t had any problems coming down. Think I’m just over worrying. This is the only medication he is on. I hope you wife tapers off this med easily and stays stable. Whenever I Google about it I just hear horror stories

S

Selfhealing

Has anyone come off quetiapine successfully?
My partner is on 100mg xl and will be reducing again in 17days time to 50mg xl for 28days then coming off. This is all under supervision from early prevention team.
I did a daily liquid titration.
It is not soluble in water, so if you do this, shake the container the quetiapine-water is in.
I took out a small amount each day, rather than do it in steps, as I wasn't sure if it had withdrawal.

I

I love you

I did a daily liquid titration.
It is not soluble in water, so if you do this, shake the container the quetiapine-water is in.
I took out a small amount each day, rather than do it in steps, as I wasn't sure if it had withdrawal.
My partner is on xl so unable to do this unfortunately.

T

timing

Just back from doc yesterday. I just started lowering quetiapine. I have gone from 200 mg to 100. We tried to get to 0 a few months back over a 5 week period. At 0, almost immediate hypomania symptoms.

We are lowering most of my meds, one at a time. This could take awhile. I have been having some serious sedation and cognitive issues. Lamogitrine successfully down from 400mg to 300. I have no idea what they will do with the lithium and trazodone.

I have been stable for over 3 years and then all this comes out of left field. I was on too many meds.

S

Selfhealing

My partner is on xl so unable to do this unfortunately.
I just plopped the pill in water, and it didn't dissolve, but I shook it before taking out my "cut", I don't know about the XL, can your partner swap the the non XL and then titrate.
NOTE - I was only on a small dose for anxiety, not psychosis.
I know that quetiapine acts as a sedating antihistamine under 300mg, and then as an anti-psychotic over 300mg, I was on 100mg I think, I can't remember now, as I had my dose lowered by my doctor as my ankles swelled up.

I

I love you

Just back from doc yesterday. I just started lowering quetiapine. I have gone from 200 mg to 100. We tried to get to 0 a few months back over a 5 week period. At 0, almost immediate hypomania symptoms.

We are lowering most of my meds, one at a time. This could take awhile. I have been having some serious sedation and cognitive issues. Lamogitrine successfully down from 400mg to 300. I have no idea what they will do with the lithium and trazodone.

I have been stable for over 3 years and then all this comes out of left field. I was on too many meds.
Gooe all goes well for you.

I

I love you

I just plopped the pill in water, and it didn't dissolve, but I shook it before taking out my "cut", I don't know about the XL, can your partner swap the the non XL and then titrate.
NOTE - I was only on a small dose for anxiety, not psychosis.
I know that quetiapine acts as a sedating antihistamine under 300mg, and then as an anti-psychotic over 300mg, I was on 100mg I think, I can't remember now, as I had my dose lowered by my doctor as my ankles swelled up.
I’m not sure. This is under supervision of cpn it was their decision. They have always said that they would get partner off this med

G

Ginger Kitten

@Selfhealing
Quetiapine is also a mood stabiliser, though they found that out incidentally when they noticed it work to stabilise mood in bipolar patients. So while it does act in the other ways you mention, I felt I should point out it has mood stabilising properties too, in case people who are on it but who don't have psychotic episodes, like myself, aren't tempted to come off it because they don't suffer from psychosis.

G

Ginger Kitten

...On a different note to my comment above, I am not able to come off Q. My pdoc has tried twice to titrate me down off it (I'm currently on 250mg at night) but every time I went below 150mg, I shot up into mania.

They don't use the term 'addicted' but I have clearly developed a dependency to it. That's because I was kept on it for 5 years. My current pdoc tried to titrate me down on it while titrating me up on lithium, but it wasn't possible for the reason I've just stated.

Just a word of warning: dependence can develop over time too. Make sure you let yr pdoc know you are aware of it. Not to say it WILL happen, but it might.