• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Coming off medication

S

sam36

Im writing from a secure hospital, as a patient. Under the mental health act ariapriapzole is forced to me monthly, ive been on it since aug 2019 . The dose was reduced from 400 to 300 last nov. The biggest side effect is that I was 77kg before it happened, now im 102kg! this is unreal and really makes me rather unhappy. My diagnosis is schzioeffective dis order, the behaviours that got me here have gone and im showing no symptons.

Is their anything intelligent I can say to the pyschatrist to either get the dose reduced or come off it completely.

Thanks for your help.

Argon

Argon

My experience is that while you are in hospital they make you take lots of drugs but after you get out you can get lucky and get a doc who will reduce your dose or put you on something that has fewer side effects. The most important thing is to keep your cool, don't act angry and don't verbalize anything that might sound like you want to hurt yourself or anyone else. Good luck.

S

sam36

Thank you man, i will be. Just saw dr today for our "ward round" and she said i keep going on about medication to her and that she wont reduce till a year of the last drop. Hoping she may do it after 7-8 months.